BOARDS-ADMINS-L Archives

Archiver > BOARDS-ADMINS > 2001-12 > 1008211581

Subject: Re: [BD-ADM] Re: Message Boards: Links and Announcements Reminder
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 21:46:21 EST

In a message dated 12/12/01 9:06:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> 1. Did you send this message to all board admins?

Hi, Charles-

I cannot speak for Vicki or staff but I think I can answer at least some of
your questions. The notice was sent out using the board admins announcement
tool which replaced the old GenConnect-Announce list used to notify all board
admins at once. Glad to see this tool is now working!

> 2. If you know my email address, then why do I have to maintain it on each
> of my six boards?

Your email address for sending this notice comes from your address in My
Profile (your account information) which you are able to keep up-to-date for
all boards universally. The problem is that changing your address in My
Profile doesn't update your email address on your boards' L&A pages. You
need to update each one manually for the boards you admin.

> 4. Why could you not give me the courtesy of at least telling me which of
> my six boards that I failed to make it through the maze of clicks and
> keystrokes required to make a simple change (from @home to @attbi)?

Because you may well have done them all. I've never changed my email address
and I was notified right along with you. This is just a reminder that if you
have not updated the L&A pages AND you have changed email addresses since
registering to admin boards--you need to check and update if the pages are
not current.

> 5. Why does it have to be so difficult to administer these boards? If you
> are the admin, you CAN NOT EVEN SEE THE L&A PAGE WITHOUT GOING THROUGH A
> MAZE OF NOT-INTUITIVE CLICKS AND
> KEYSTROKES. If you are not logged in as the admin, then YOU CAN NOT
> CHANGE AN ERRONEOUS ADDRESS ON THE L&A PAGE WITHOUT GOING THROUGH A MAZE
OF
> NOT-INTUITIVE CLICKS AND KEYSTROKES.

Well, I can't answer THAT one--I think many features that we have reported
we'd like to have are still pending but I don't know whether there are any
pending changes involving the maintenance of the L&A pages. I did speak with
the programmer about this very issue when I was still on staff. I told him I
felt that it negated any advantage to having a universal address update
capability for board admins if they still had to manually update EACH and
every L&A page. I asked him why the L&A page couldn't be updated universally
whenever My Profile was updated for an admin's account. It seemed to me (a
non-techie) as if it should be easy to accomplish because the admin address
on the L&A page is generated automatically when a board is adopted.

The programmer explained that it isn't that easy--that aside from the initial
creation of this page the L&A pages are NOT linked in any way to the account
information. He also implied that it would be pretty difficult to link them
to accomplish what I was asking for. I got the feeling that it wouldn't be
done. Of course, things may have changed in the ensuing months since I left
staff. Let's hope somehow it can be accomplished.

Joan

This thread: