BOARDS-ADMINS-L Archives

Archiver > BOARDS-ADMINS > 2001-12 > 1008343195

From: "B. Warner" <>
Subject: [BD-ADM] Known Case Bug in Searches
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:33:03 -0600

A message I got back from the helpdesk this morning indicated that there is
a "known" bug in board searches that will return different results
depending on the *case* of the search term - SMITH, Smith, and smith will
return different results. If they know about this bug, why don't they fix
it? THIS IS A CRITICAL PROBLEM!!! This should be "high" priority. I've
seen this problem discussed extensively on this Board before so I know that
it's been a problem for quite awhile (probably since the new Boards came
into existence in June). If they don't know how to fix it, why don't they
at least put a message above the search window telling people to type their
search request in different cases and give an example (i. e. SMITH, Smith,
smith) so they will get all the results possible and not go away
disappointed? I know this suggestion has been made before, yet it's
obviously been ignored. There's no sense in us busting our butts to
contribute the information if it can't be found! Please don't suggest that
I go to the suggestion board with this because I know it's been don before.
Also, if it's a "known" problem, why should it be up to us to go to
Suggestion Board suggest a solution or a temporary fix (such as the examples
of how to type names) until the problem is fixed. Common sense should
dictate here. Besides that, they just seem to ignore us anyhow.

By the way, I'm still having the problem this morning that no matter what I
put in search window or how I type it, I still be "0 results". Anyone else
with this problem?

B. Warner

This thread: