BOARDS-ADMINS-L Archives

Archiver > BOARDS-ADMINS > 2001-12 > 1008359856

From: "George W. Durman" <>
Subject: Re: [BD-ADM] Message Board performance.
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:57:36 -0500

On this subject, one of the staff at Ancestry told me that anyone
using a proxy connection would continue to have problems with
any of the Ancestry web pages. She suggested that the only way
I could solve it was to NOT use a proxy.

Well, as any cable modem user knows, a proxy is REQUIRED.
And, anyone using other utilities, such as AdSubtract, also uses
a proxy. Having to turn off proxy settings every time one visits
an Ancestry page that uses Java Script is NOT satisfactory!!!!!

It's odd that with the same EXACT settings I can access and
browse through countless pages on other sites that use Java
Script. It's only at Ancestry where there is a conflict. That
tells me that it's Ancestry's fault.

BTW, I DID turn off AdSubtract, and reconfigure the settings
in MSIE to NOT use a proxy -- no change in performance was
observed. The same problems are still there.

SgtGeorge

At 12/14/2001 11:33 AM Friday, wrote:
*********START OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT*********
>In a message dated 12/14/01 10:16:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> > I would like to believe that this is my problem so that I can fix
> it, but I
> > suspect that the problem is on the server side where the pop-up
> server is
> > getting overloaded.
>
>John-
>
>I suspect the problem is between you and RootsWeb/Ancestry because
>I've also
>seen you bouncing in and out of IRC for the last day or so while the
>rest of
>us are not nearly so bouncy. Perhaps you should do a trace route
>between you
>and boards.rootsweb.com and see what it shows you. Even just
>pinging the
>server might tell us if there is significant packet loss.
>
>Joan
**********END OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT**********

This thread: