BOARDS-ADMINS-L Archives

Archiver > BOARDS-ADMINS > 2001-12 > 1008965613

From: Luc Matthijs <>
Subject: Re: [BD-ADM] Making Changes at Ancestry (WAS: Use your own colors)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 21:13:33 +0100

At 21/12/2001 03:03 -0500, you wrote:
>Yup. Except, those making the changes don't realize that, when
>they change the course of the stream, catastrophic results occur
>in other places, sometimes far away from the stream. It's called
>"myopia".
>
>SgtGeorge

It's not "myopia", but the classic "regression" error. Classic for those
who want to solve rapidly problems with a running system without having the
possibility to test the changes

If all users, who are now accessing for free Rootsweb & parts of Ancestry,
would pay something then it would be possible for MF to have a duplicate
"test" system off-line, that would intercept 90% of those regression
errors. But some would always remain.

A negative style of remarks will hide the real problem and only slow down
any attempt to settle the problems.

A positive style of remarks will not always but many times solve the
problem when MF does have the possibility to do something.

They can't disclose their exact plans, because the competition is also
listening. That didn't happen with RW either.

I think that our target is to have the best possible genealogical site for
the largest number of visitors at no cost, if possible. It's not our
target to prove that the internal organization of MF, their choices, their
methods, ... are good or not. That's their problem.

Greetings,

Luc Matthijs
Evere (Brussels, Belgium)

This thread: