BOARDS-ADMINS-L Archives

Archiver > BOARDS-ADMINS > 2001-12 > 1009211708

Subject: Re: [BD-ADM] Neanderthals Repairing Swiss Watches (WAS: Use your own colors)
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 11:35:08 EST

In a message dated 12/24/01 11:18:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> For instance, throughout the whole transition to the new message boards,
> the issues that were most critical on our minds were about the way we
> accessed or searched the database of messages. I do not recall there ever
> being a concern about the integrity of the messages in the database. They
> were not lost; maybe misplaced or labelled, but not lost. new messages
> were going in and being retrieved. (maybe someone will remind us of where
> I am wrong, but this is my recollection.)

John-

In the transition to the new boards there was never an issue about the loss
of messages themselves. A few boards had to moved over manually after the
initial transfer was completed but they were moved successfully. For a time
the field which contained URL links was deliberately removed but after I
asked that they reconsider this issue one of the developers most kindly
checked on this and re-added the external links which represented most of the
links. Only the few internal links to other messages on the old boards which
would no longer work anyway were lost permanently.

The most difficult elements of the new boards to test were the admin board
features. The very nature of having to be registered as admin for a board to
test these functions, and having to coordidate this testing with the ability
to login as admin, meant that we were playing catch up where the admins were
concerned. However, these issues didn't affect the boards users to any great
degree--only the admins.

Joan

This thread: