BOBO-L Archives

Archiver > BOBO > 2004-11 > 1101848220

Subject: Will of Absalom Bobo
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:57:00 EST

Two copies of the Will of Absalom Bobo of Laurens Co., SC are available. The
first is in Will Book D1, pages 159, 160. This volume is tightly bound and
on film one cannot tell the words that are "in the ditch." The Will is
followed by an Inventory of his estate.

The 2nd copy of the Will is in the Probate Estate boxes, Box 6, package 6.
This copy consists of one sheet of paper, part of the proof on the back. This
copy is clear, but has a slight difference in wording (i.e. State and ---
instead of District and State) and some capitalization. A note on this estate
packet says "Absolum Bobo - papers taken out by C. B. Bobo Mar - 3 - 27".
(Likely Charles Burwell Bobo, Jr. who died in 1944)

Following is a copy of the Will in the Estate package:

South Carolina } In the name of god amen I Absolum Bobo
Laurens District } of the District and State aforesaid being of
sound mind and disposing memory and understanding thanks be god for the same do
make this my last will and testament in manner following I give and bequeath
unto my dearly beloved wife Amey Bobo all my estate both real and personal of
all kinds be the same of what nature or kind whatsoever induring her natural
life to be by her freely passed and enjoyed with liberty to dispose of the
same at her death unto whom she may see cause subject however to paying all my
just debts and funeral expenses and the following legacies (to wit) at the death
of my beloved wife my executors hereafter named are to pay unto my soninlaw
William Powell the sum of one hundred and twenty five cents and to each of his
children which he has had by my daughter (to wit) Betsey Gains the sum of one
hundred and twenty five cents and to Roddy Waits the sum of one hundred and
twenty five cents and to Peachy Posey the sum of one hundred and twenty five
cents and to Polly Delph the sum of one hundred and twenty five cents and to
Fanny Powell the sum of one hundred and twenty five cents and to Sarah Powell the
sum of one hundred and twenty five cents and to Ann Powell the sum of one
hundred and twenty five cents and to Belinda Powell the sum of one hundred and
twenty five cents and to Milly Powell the sum of one hundred and twenty five
cents and Virginia Powell the sum of one hundred and twenty five cents and I do
hereby nominate constitute and appoint my true and trusty friends David Anderson
Esquire and Lewis Graves the whole and soul executors of this my last will
and testament hereby revoking making void all former wills bequeaths and
legacies whatsoever by me made and do declare this to be my last will and Testament
In witness whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal this the eighth day of July
in the year of our lord 1808 and in the thirty third year of american
independence.
Signed sealed published and } John G. Golding, Senr
declared by the said Absolum } Andrew Anderson
Bobo to be his last will and } James Anderson
Testament in his presence and } William Anderson
in the presence of each other } { LS}
have hereunto subscribed our }
names - - - }

South Carolina }
Laurens District } By David Anderson ordinary of said District
Personally appeared before me John Golding Senr Andrew Anderson James
Anderson and William Anderson who being duly sworn upon the holy evangels of
almighty God doth make oath and say that Absalom Bobo servant came and said he was
sent to request them to go to his masters house and when they came there the
said Absalom Bobo requested of them to subscribe as witnesses to a certain
Ritten instrument to which this annexed and furnished them with a table pen and Ink
and declared it to be his the said Absalom Bobo last will and testament and
the said Absalom Bobo was then of sound and disposing mind memory and
understanding to the best of deponents knowledge and belief and that we the said John
Golding senr Andrew Anderson and James Anderson and William Anderson all sign
our names as witnesses thereto at the request of the said Absalom Bobo in his
presence and in the presence of each other sworn to and subscribed before me
this 11th day of February 1813.
John Golding Senr
David Anderson Andrew Anderson
Ordiny James Anderson
William Anderson

South Carolina } Clerks office
Laurens District }
I do hereby certify that within sheet of
paper contains a true copy of the last will
and Testament of Absolum Bobo and also
the probate thereof taken from the records
remaining in said office
Given under my hand this 10th of
May 1813
John Garlington
Clk of Laurens Dist

Inventory, Book D1, page 160 (left side in crease)
-- appraise Bill of the goods & chattels of Absolum Bobo Decd
--en 30th day of April 1813 = to wit
$ cents
-ead of Hogs at 85.00
--ad of sheaps marw & colts 130.00
-- $35 = sixty five barrels of
corn $97.50 132.50
--kins 4.00
--tiion tools 29.00
--ys $5 = kitchen furniture $17.00 22.00 $302.50
--Negro Cate Nothing
--o Boy Jacob 250.00
--ch gin & 6 children 1200.00
--ch Hanah & 6 children 1000.00