BODKIN-L Archives

Archiver > BODKIN > 2001-01 > 0980028229

From: "Terry Chevako Bava" <>
Subject: Jonathan Bodkin b. 1823
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:03:49 -0400

I have compelling evidence (at least I think so) that Jonathan Bodkin b. 1823 OH was not the son of James b. 1787 and Mary McCray, but rather was the son of William Bodkin 1793-1872 and Malinda Elizabeth Shepherd (Shepard) who married in Montgomery Co. abt. 1819. I would like everyone's opinion, positive or negative, on my reasoning.

William died in St. Marys, Auglaize Co. OH in 1872, leaving a substantial estate. He left the land to sons Bradley and Shepherd and directed them to pay of the rest of his (unnamed) kids in three years. William had paid off his own siblings in 1830 when he got the land from his father.

The estate executrix, William's second wife Sarah, starts paying off estate debts immediately and in 1875 Shepherd and Bradley start paying heirs. There are receipts showing Bradley paid a full heir's share to his sister Ellen Henning, a full share to Mary Botkin (I think a sister), a half share to Ellen Marshall and a half share [to name cut off] , a full share to brother A.J. Botkin.

Shepard paid a half share to Lewis Smith s/o deceased sister Caroline, he paid a full share to James Botkin and maybe to a Mary Botkin, and he paid a full share to the heirs of Jonathan Botkin. Jonathan's widow Roseann signed as guardian for one of the kids.

In the separate estate settlement list, A.J. Bodkin, A.J. Bodkin as guardian for two kids, Mary Botkin, James Botkin, Malinda J. Bodkin and Roseann Botkin each received a full heir's share. Lewis Smith and Ellen Smith (later Marshall) split a share and three other grandkids split an heir's share.

Only Bradley, Shepherd, the widow and the rest of the kids were left anything in the will, so I don't think Jonathan could be just a friend. I also have found no source for Jonathan being the s/o James 1787 and Mary other than the Norman site. No documentation or even circumstantial evidence. The fly in my ointment is that I can't prove that A.J. was a s/o of William. Wouldn't those two sons have also shared in the land inheritance? Unless they didn't need it because they were rather older and were already established.

What do you all think?
Terry

This thread: