BODKIN-L Archives

Archiver > BODKIN > 2005-03 > 1110436648

Subject: Re: John Botkin s/o Robert born 1761 died 1791 Married a Mary Bodkin
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:37:28 EST

John Botkin m. Mary and d 1791 is the one who was b 1740 and was Richard's b
1710 son. John served in the American Revolution from Augusta County VA. He
is listed as living on Cowpasture river adjoining John Poage and David Bell on
December 8, 1769.

My John Botkin (~1765-1829, also married a Mary and also lived in Pendleton
County before moving to Ohio in 1812) was involved in a 1795 Pendleton County
VA land survey record with 2 sons of this John Botkin 1740-1791 (survey
document listed my John Botkin and William Botkin and John, s/o John, decd). Clayton
Botkin says the land in this survey record is located where the John Botkin
Mill stands -- on the line between Pendleton County & Highland County.

I haven't figured out how my John links into all of these people -- that's my
puzzle.

Below are transcriptions of John's (1740-1791) will and other probate
documents. Jan

**********************************
JOHN BOTKIN 1740-1791
My transcription of this will is below. As you can see, I'm still trying to
make out some words in these documents below (handwriting is tough and I
don't understand some of the old lingo). Chris Clapsadle located and sent to
me.
Jan Botkin Therkildsen (Arvada, Colorado)

NOTES OF INTEREST:
------ Name is BOTKIN (not BODKIN) all through this 1791 will.
------ Norman line lists daughter JANE but 1791 will absolutely says JEAN.

**************
My Summary:

John Botkin will dated July 10, 1791; probated November 7, 1791
Heirs: wife Mary; sons John Botkin and William Botkin; daughters Margaret,
Mary McCandless, Lettie Jordan, Euphemia Botkin, and Jean Botkin.

Mansion House to wife Mary until son John comes of age or during her
widowhood, and third part of personal estate also to wife Mary; 138 acres of
my Plantation to son William; Plantation I now live on (incl. 177 acres) to
son John plus two thirds personal estate to son John; sorrel horse, saddle,
bed and furniture to daughter Margaret; one shilling sterling to each -
daughters Mary McCandless Lettie Jordan Euphemia Botkin and Jean Botkin.

Executors: Mary Botkin and John Armstrong
Witnesses: Samuel Burnet, John Armstrong, Thomas Deverix (his mark), Andrew
Jordan
Will Book 1, Page 29 (written by hand by someone on this copy)

**********************
WILL OF JOHN BOTKIN - 1791 - Pendleton County Virginia

In the name of God of Amen I John Botkin Sr. of the County of Pendleton State
of Virginia being ___ the abundant mercy of God tho' weak in body yet of a
sound mind perfect understanding and memory do constitute this my last will
and testimony and desire it to be received by all as such. Imprimis I most
humbly bequeath my Soul to God my maker beseeching his most gracious
acceptance same of it through the all sufficient merits and mediation of My
Most Compassionate Redeemer Jesus Christ who gave himself to be an atonement
for my sins, and is able to save to the uttermost all that came unto God by
him seeing he ever liveth to make interception or them an who I trust will
not reject me a returning Penitent Sinner when I came to him for mercy in
this hope and confidence I surrender up my soul with comfort, humbly
beseeching the most blessed and gracious Trinity one God most Holy most
Merciful and gracious to prepare me for the time of my dissolution and then
to take to himself into that peace and trust and in comparable felicity which
he has prepared for those that love and fear his holy name Amen; Blessed be
God; Imprimis; I give my Body to the Earth from whence it was taken in full
assurance of its resurrection from thence at the last day; for my burial I
desire it may be decent without pampastate (?) at the discretion of my dear
wife, and my Executors hereafter named, who I doubt not will manage it with
all requisite prudence as to my Worldly Estate. I will and positively order
that all my debts be paid. Item, I give and will to my beloved wife Mary the
third part of my personal estate with her bed and furniture and also a right
to live in the Mansion House untill my son John comes to age or during her
widowhood and also all her body cloths and to have her maintenance off the
place during the said time of the joint expense of her and the heirs, I give
unto my son William one hundred and thirty eight acres of land on the South
West and of my Plantation to him his heirs and assigns, forever according as
the same has been laid off by Mr. Poage but he is not to receive a Title for
said Land until he does discharge all just debts which he has contracted with
the estate. I also give and bequeath unto him the Lease of the live Wild
Sows and five of their Shoats by Lott. I give to my daughter Margaret the
sorrel mare that was family named or given to her and also her saddle bed and
furniture. I likewise give unto my loving and dutiful daughter Mary
McCandless Lettie Jordan Euphemia Botkin and Jean Botkin the sum of one
shilling sterling to each to be levied (?) and raised out of my personal
Estate. I also give unto my dutiful son John the plantation I now live on
Containing about one hundred seventy seven acres it being the remaining part
which I reserve for him as the next is willed to my son William to him my son
John and to his heirs and assigns forever; but if John should die before the
age of twenty one as have no lawful issue then his dividend of land to be
sold and the purchase money from thence arising to be equally divided amongst
my daughters who shall be then alive and to the eldest child of those who may
be dead but sill reserving the living of my beloved wife as above mentioned
as an equivalent in money as she will choose. I also give the remaining part
of my personal estate being the two thirds thereof unto my son John and I do
hereby constitute and appoint my wife Mary and John Armstrong Executors of
this my last will and testament; as I do revoke all wills and testaments made
by me before this in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal.
This tenth day of July in the year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and
Ninety one.

John Botkin Sen. (seal)

Acknowledged and signed in presence of us
Samuel Burnet
John Armstrong
Thomas Deverix (his mark)
Andrew Jordan

***********************************

BOND & PROBATE COURT DOCUMENTS

At a Court held for Pendleton County on Monday the seventh day of November
One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety one. This last will and testament of
John Botkin Senior dece'd was proven by the oaths of John Armstrong Andrew
Jordan and Thomas Deverix witnesses thereto and Ordered to be Recorded. Test
: Gawin Hamilton

Know all me by these present that __ Mary Botkin and John Robert Duffield and
Andrew Jordan are held and firmly bound to Robert Davis, James Cunningham,
Rodger Dyer, Matthew P_____, John MCoy, Robert Burnet, Robert Poage, Jacob
Conrad, Jacob Hoover, and Peter Hull GenT Justices of the Court of Pendleton
County now sitting in the sum of one hundred pounde to the payment whereof
well and truly to be made to the said Justices and their S______ we bind
_____ and each of us ___ and each of our heirs, executors, and administrators
jointly and severally firmly by these presents __ with ______ ______ this 7
day of November in the year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and ninety
one and in the 16 year of the Commonwealth.

The condition of the above obligation is such that if the above bound Mary
Botkin and John Armstrong Executors of the last will and testament of John
Botkin Sen. deceased ___ make as cause to be made a time and perfect
inventory of all and ____ the goods of chattels, Credits of the said dec'd
which have as shall come to the hands possessions known ____ of the said Mary
Botkin and John Armstrong as into the hands of the ___ of another person or
persons for them and the same so made do exhibit into the family court of
Pendleton at such time as they shall be thereunto required by the said Court
and the same goods chattels and credits and all other goods chattels and
credits of the said deceased which at any time after shall ___ to the hands
possession as knowledge of the said Mary Botkin and John Armstrong or into
the hands or possession of any other person or persons for those of well and
duly administer according to law and further do make a just and ___ account
of these ____ and ____ therein where thereto which thereto required by the
said Court and also shall well and duly pay and ___ all the legacies Court
____ and specified in the said testament as far as the said goods chattels
and credits will thereunto extend and the law charge. ___ ___ obligation to
be void _____ to remain in full ___ and _____

Sealed and Delivered Presence of The Court
Mary M. Botkin (her mark)
John Armstrong
Robert Duffield (his mark)
Andrew Jordan

At a Court held for Pendleton County on Monday the 7 day of November 1791.
This bond from Mary Botkin and John Armstrong Executors of the last will and
testament of John Botkin Sen. dec'd to the within named ____ was acknowledged
by the said Executors and ordered to be recorded.
Test. Garwin Hamilton

This thread: