BOER-WAR-L Archives

Archiver > BOER-WAR > 2002-03 > 1016347270

From: Iain Kerr <>
Subject: Re: [BOER-WAR] Lancashire Fusiliers
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 06:41:10 +0000

At 12:29 PM 16/03/02 -0500, wrote:
>Hi listers,
>
>John William MORLEY born Liverpool 1882 joined the Lancashire Fusiliers on 6
>Aug 1900 at Preston. He was discharged to the reserve 13 Sep 1913. His death
>on 27th July 1920 is commemorated on the CWGC website and his grave is marked
>with a CWGC headstone in Peel Green Cemetery, Eccles
> 8114 Private
> J.W.Morley
> 2nd Bn Lancashire Fusiliers
> 27 July 1920 aged 38
>
>and his widow received a war widows pension for the duration of her life.
>
>1 Where was the Regiment from 1900 until 1913?
>2 How can I find out when he re-enlisted (or would he have been mobilised as
>a reservist?)
>3 Where was his battalion from 1914-1918?
>4 Where can I find the answers to the above questions and others?
>>Peter Rowley
>>in Runcorn, Cheshire

Peter,

In 1900, the Lancashire Fusiliers had four regular battalions (1st to 4th
Battalions), two militia battalions (5th and 6th Battalions) and three
volunteer battalions (1st, 2nd and 3rd Volunteer Battalions).

The 2nd Battalion, based in Malta in 1899, served in South Africa,
returning home after 1902. The 1st Battalion, then in India, may have
provided mounted infantry detachment for service in South Africa. Both the
5th (Militia) and 6th (Militia Battalions) of the regiment volunteered for
service overseas, in excess of their terms of service. The two militia
battalions did sterling service in manning and defending the long lines of
communication. Sufficient men of the three Volunteer Battalions of the
regiment agreed to serve overseas to allow the regiment to provide three
companies that acted as reinforcements to their regular colleagues.

After the South African War ended in 1902, the regiment reverted to having
two regular battalions.

In 1910 the Lancashire Fusiliers was disposed as follows: 1st Battalion in
Multan, India; 2nd Battalion in Tidworth, Hampshire; 3rd (Reserve) and 4th
(Extra Reserve) Battalions at Bury; 5th Battalion (Territorial Force) at
Castle Armoury, Bury; 6th Battalion (Territorial Force) at Rochdale; 7th
and 8th Battalions (Territorial Force) at Salford.

By 1914, the regimental deployment was: 1st Battalion in Karachi, India;
2nd Battalion in Dover; 3rd (Reserve) and 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalions at
Bury.

The 5th Battalion (Territorial Force) with its Headquarters and A, B, E, F
and H Companies based at Castle Armoury, Bury, with C and D Companies at
Heywood and G Company at Radcliffe. The battalion was assigned to the
Lancashire Fusiliers Brigade, a territorial formation.

The 6th Battalion (Territorial Force) with Battalion Headquarters, B, C, D
and F Companies based at Rochdale, A and E Companies at Middleton and G and
H Companies at Todmorden. The battalion was assigned to the Lancashire
Fusiliers Brigade, a territorial formation.

The 7th and 8th Battalions (Territorial Force) each of a Headquarters and
eight companies, were both based at Salford. The battalions were assigned
to the Lancashire Fusiliers Brigade, a territorial formation.

2. By researching any surviving papers at the Public record Office, Kew.

3. In World War I, the Lancashire Fusiliers from its pre-war two regular,
two reserve and four territorial battalions, raised a total of 31
battalions. During involvement in campaigns in all theatres, the XXth
Fusiliers lost 13,642 men killed in action. The regiment won more VCs, a
total of eighteen, than any other regiment during the Great War. During
the Gallipoli campaign, the six battalions of the XXth won six VCs, 4 DSOs,
5 MCs, 2 CBs, 13 DCMs, and 43 MiDs. The six VCs were won by the 1st
Battalion on W Beach on 25th April 1915.

The 2nd Battalion, the Lancashire Fusiliers was based in Dover at the
outbreak of war, as part of 12th Brigade in 4th Division. The battalion
embarked for France as part of the British Expeditionary Force and landed
at Boulogne on 20 Aug 1814. On 4 Nov 1915 it transferred to 12th Brigade
in 36th Division and returned to 4th Division on 3 Feb 1916. At the
Armistice on 11 Nov 1918, the battalion was in 12th Brigade of 4th Division
at Artres, south of Valenciennes in France.

4. From the following sources:

Regimental Museum

Lancashire Fusiliers Regimental Museum, Wellington Barracks, Bolton Road,
Bury, Lancashire BL8 2PL Phone: (0161) 7642208. Regimental history of the
XXth Regiment of Foot since 1688: weapons, uniforms and large medal
collection. Trophies, colours and memorabilia of General Wolfe, the Duke of
Wellington and Napoleon, and the Gallipoli campaign.

Regimental History

"The History of the Lancashire Fusiliers 1914-18"in two volumes; by Major
General J C Latter; published by Gale and Polden, in Aldershot in 1949.

The later history of the XXth Fusiliers and its involvement in Gallipoli is
well detailed in "Hell's Foundations: A Town Its Myths and Gallipoli" by
Geoffrey Moorhouse; published by Hodder & Stoughton in 1992; ISBN 0 340
43044 3. It explores the relationship between Bury and the regiment whose
depot was based there. It focuses on the effects of Gallipoli, where the
XXth took the greatest number of casualties of any British regiment, with
six battalions involved, and where they won "six VCs before breakfast!"

Yours aye,

Iain Kerr in Windsor, Berkshire, United Kingdom
Web Page at: http://home.clara.net/iainkerr/index.htm
RootsWeb Sponsor and Listowner for the WORLDWAR2 Mailing List.

This thread: