BOER-WAR-L Archives

Archiver > BOER-WAR > 2007-08 > 1186830636

From: Tom & Claire Clark <>
Subject: [BOER-WAR] Help with military uniform & attestation paper
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:10:36 +1200

Hi list

I have 2 photos circa 1890 of male relatives residing in Hackney. I have
the attestation paper of one relative born 1876 joining the 3rd
battalion [Militia] of the Middlesex regiment.
I would appreciate it if someone who has experience in uniforms could
email me off list and review the uniforms and tell me if one photo could
be a possible match for the attestation paper.

Photo one has a single breasted jacket, length to below the hip, has a
belt, piping down the edge of the jacket (beside the button holes),
small stand up collar. No hat in the picture, and no evidence of stripes
or cuff markings. Jacket and trousers look to be about the same shade.
Overall the jacket looks to be a very simple generic sort of design with
no distinguishing features.

Photo 2 looks more like an old policeman. The man in uniform has a rifle
with fixed bayonet. Jacket is single breasted with a lot of buttons -
perhaps about 9 to the waist. A lot of frogging on the cuff. The helmet
looks like an early policeman's helmet with strap under the chin. He has
a long truncheon hanging from his belt.

Thanks

Claire

This thread: