BOGLE-L Archives

Archiver > BOGLE > 2011-02 > 1296760639

From: ,
Subject: Re: [BOGLE] Bogle in St Thomas Jamaica
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 19:17:19 -0000

Author: MichaelBogle43
Surnames: Bogle
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.bogle/183.1.1.5.1.2/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

If it is any use to you Tatlyn I found this in my records.

Following is an extract for the year of about 1826 for the sale of slaves to a Bogle:-

Office for the Registration of Slaves.
Georgetown, Demerary.
Aug. 14th. 1827.

TRIENNIAL RETURN,
1826.

By JAMES ROBERTSON, Registrara.

These are to Certify, That A. MacRae
has duly Registered in this Office, according to Law, the following Slave
belonging to Plantation Bellfield per Schedule No. 1082 Regd.
Fol. 1066.
Attested the 21st July 1826.

Names Colour Age Bodily Marks Employment Condition Country

Jim Black 19 None Field Healthy Essequebo

James Robertson
Registrar

Mr. William Bogle
Bought of Plantation Bellfield
August 14th 1827.

The above registered Slave Jim }
for the sum of Eighteen Hundred } -- G 1,800
Guilders....................................... }

Received Payment of the above sum of Eighteen hundred Guilders in full, say G.1490 in cash and an order on Michael Bogle
Esquire for the Balance.

A. MacRae.
Plantation Bellfield

Also follows are copies of bills of sale for slaves which appears to concern the same person, a William Bogle:-

Copy of Bill of Sale for Negro Slave.

DEMERARA & ESSEQUEBO

Know all Men by these Presents, That . . . I, Richard Estrick . . . of the United Colony of Demerara and Essequebo, for,
and in consideration of the sum of . . .Eighteen hundred guilders . . . to me in hand, well and truly paid in manner
specified in the annexed Receipt, at the Sealing and delivering of these Presents, by . . . William Bogle . . . also of the
United Colony of Demerara and Essequebo, the receipt whereof . . . I . . . do hereby fully acknowledge, and of and from all
and every part and parcel thereof, do acquit, release, and for ever discharge the said . . . William Bogle . . . his Heirs,
Executors, and Administrators, and every of them by these Presents, have granted, bargained, sold, and assigned, transferred
and confirmed, and by these Presents do fully and absolutely grant, bargain, sell, and assign, transfer and confirm, unto .
. .him. . .the said. . .William Bogle. . .his Heirs, Executors, Administrators, and Assigns, for ever, a certain. . .Slave
named Charles a Mulatto. . .and the reversion and reversions, remainder and remainders, rents, issues, profits, benefits,
emoluments, and services of the said Slave and all the estate, right, tide, and interest, use, trust, property, claim and
demand whatsoever either of, in, or to the said Slave. . .Charles. . . . . .to have and to hold the said. . .Mulatto Slave
Charles. . .unto him the said. . .William Bogle. . .his Heirs, Executors, Administrators, and Assigns, and as his Goods and
Chattels, from henceforth for ever.
And. . .I. . .the said. . .R. Estrick. . . . . do hereby engage, promise, and agree to defend and warrant, the full and
absolute property, title, and right of the said Slave. . .Charles. . .unto the said. . .William Bogle. . .his Heirs,
Executors, Administrators, and Assigns for ever, against all claims and demands of whatsoever nature and kind; engaging to
indemnify the said. . . William Bogle. . .his Heirs, Executors, Administrators, and Assigns against all such.
Further binding my person and property, in general, for the due fulfilment of the engagement hereinbefore contained.
In Witness whereof, . . . I . . . have hereunto set . . . my . . .hand and seal, this Third day of February in the Year of
our Lord, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Twenty nine.

Signed, Sealed and Delivered }
in the Presence of } Richard Estrick
Thos. Hutbard.

Copy of Bill of Sale for Negro Slave

BILL OF SALE

Demerary }
and } -- To Wit.
Essequebo }
KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS, that . . . I, Martha Ann Thelfer, . . . have this day Sold, Transferred,
and Assigned, and do hereby sell, transfer, and assign the . . . Negro Slave Named Providence . . . as per Registration
Certificate herewith dated 19th May 1829 as well as all future reversion, rents, services, issues and profits of the same,
unto . . . William Bogle Esq.,. . .(his Heirs, Administrators, and Assigns, for and in consideration of the sum of . . . . .
Two Thousand two Hundred Guilers. . . . .(as per Receipt subjoined)- renouncing henceforth all right, title,
and interest whatsoever, to and in the said. . . . .Slave named Providence. . . . .and do hereby engage to pay, or otherwise
satisfactorily arrange, and become responsible for all other Claims and Demands (of prior date to this Sale) that may be
brought against the same or the Purchaser thereof -- thereto binding my person and property, according to Law.
Given under my hand in Demerary this 21st day of May One Thousand Eight Hundred and Twenty Nine.
Martha A Telfer Geo. R. Preston Jnr.
Martha A Thelfer

Received of Wm. Bogle Esq.
the Sum of Two Thousand Two hundred Guilders, being in full of the Purchase-Money of the aforesaid Slave Providence named and described in the above Bill of Sale.
Geo. R Preston
--------------------- for Martha A Thelfer
G.2200

Martha A Thelfer