BOLLINGER-L Archives

Archiver > BOLLINGER > 2006-07 > 1152411253

Subject: Re: [BOLLINGER] Bollinger Famliy
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 22:14:13 EDT

I am working on my BOLLINGER line but, so far, my Bollingers left Germany,
went to Switzerland, and came to America. Some of our relatives have tried
very hard to trace the family. For your information and whatever help it may
give you, I will copy a few pages out of my book which may be available from
Cecil B. Williams, Asst. Ed., Lt. Col. USAF, Retired, 408 Spring Meadows
Drive, Manchester, MO 63011, phone 1-314-391-7744. I haven't heaard from him for
a long time, and he may be deceased.

BULLINGER FAMILIES OF SWIITZERLAND

The author had access to two manuscripts plus other records of the 17th
Century. The first contains no title and no date but has inserts of copies of
text which the author Heinrich Bullinger made in his diary 1508 for his
children carrying the title "Index to Bullinger family and what they contributed to
Bremgarten churches" by Heinrich Bullinger the elder, pastor at great
cathedral. The second has this title again with "continued to 1680" by Heinrich
Bullinger, Pastor at Richtiswil. A detailed genealogy is not attempted as 500
years of history is covered.

It is recognized that all dates may not be exact as many dates were
repetitious, now in the dim past, but were personal then.

Hans Bullinger, b. 1432, d. 1490, m. (1) Barbara Magger, m. (2) Gertrud
Kueffer, b. 1440, d. 1522. Their ch were Heinrich, Hans Jakob and Hans.
Their first son, deacon Heinrich Bullinger, b. 2 Feb 1469, d. 4 Aug 1533. After
joining the Reformation m. 31 Dec 1529 at Zurich Cathedral, a public
marriage ceremony with Anna Widerker of Bremgarten, b. 1492, d. 16 Aug 1541.
Heinrich was named Judge at Hermeswil, obtained a house at Bremgarted which was
confiscated in the Chapel War. He went to live with his son at Zurich and is
buried in the great cathedral. Anna d. 16 Aug 1541 and is buried left of the
big door of the cathedral.

Heinrich Bullinger, author, b. 18 Jul 1504, d. 17 Aug 1575, describes
himself as appointed by Zwingli to Zurich 18 Dec 1531.

This is the Heinrich Bullinger on the opposite page. Their children were
Heinrich, pastor of St. Peter, b. 18 May 1531, m. 20 Jun 1559, Anna Gwalter, a
granddaughter of Zwingli. The second son was Hans Rudolf Bullinger, pastor
in Berg and Flach, later a doctor in Bern, b. 30 Jan 1536, d. 1582, m. 13 Aug
1560 Susana Keller. Third son, Christoffal, was a baker, b. 16 Dec 1537, d
13 Dec 1569, office at court for the Hessian Landgrave. He died in the French
attack on Nederland in the Battle of Orange 1569. Fourth and fifth sons
Hans and Dietheim dy. In the years of 1564-65, 3,700 people died of the plague
in Zurich. Heinrich's wife, daughter and daughter-in-law died of the plague.
Josue Bullinger, furrier, b. 18 Apr 1529, d. 1581, m. daughter-in-law died
of the plague. Josue Bullinger, furrier, b. 18 Apr 1529, d. 1581, m. (1)
Barbara Backart, d. 25 Dec. 1572, m. (2) 9 Apr. 1572, Susanna Absril, children:
Has Heinrich, painter, b. 24 Aug 1557, d. 1627, as ensign in Dampis War, m.
3 Jul 1577 Magdalena Meister. Hans Jakob 1, goldsmith b. 7 Oct 1578, m. 1609
(1) Hleophea Schweitzer, d. of plague, m. (2) Scheur of Glarus, d. 1622, m.
(3) Johanna Beth. Hans Jakob Bullinger II, b. 26 Jul 1610, d. 1 Jul 1682,
became head of the goldsmiths. Johann Balthasar Bullinger studied painting.
In class were 10 scholars, two already over 30 years of age. He became an
excellent painter. Some of his works are Peter Pan, the Sphtynx, Moses and the
Serpant, Rebecca at the Well and death of Iphogenia, copied from Tiepolo.
Next year several works of St. Giovenni were copied, (the Doges employed). He
traveled the Rhein valley, arrived Zurich 1735, painted first landscapes in
1735, in 1737 he painted landscapes in Neuchatel. 1738 in Bern, then to
Basel and Strasbourg, and to Dusseldorf. Deciding finally on Amsterdam. On his
journey he met the King of Prussia. He arrived at
Amsterdam last of June. He became ill and on the advice of his doctor moved
to Roterdam. He decorated the interior of Hottingen and met the youngest
daughter of merchant Stephenat Hirsli. He and Elisabeth Steffen were married
21 Aug 1742. He also made 458 etchings between 1742 and 1768. He toured
Switzerland, and in 1785 sold out.

The Bullinger families have spread to Bergamo, Neuchatel, Bern, Basel,
Am;sterdam and Roterdam with some returning to Zurich. I have visited these towns
or dcities hoping to find a Heinrich Bullinger of these families leaving for
America but the group that I was with were not interested in genealogy and
my research time was limited. The telephone directories listed many
Bollingers, in Zurich there were two pages, now spelled Bollinger. Calls I made, we
were unable to converse in English or their native language. More time will
be required to document our Heinrich of the "Winter Galley" who came to
America 5 Sep 1738. I hope someday to returnn. Perhaps one of our readers will
visit Switzerland, a mos5 beautiful country, and find the key that unlocks the
door to the secret. (Notes of C.B.Williams)

To America - page 7 - of The Bollinger Connections

The Ancestrak Father of the Bollinger families of Missouri, Heinrich
Bullinger, born in 1710, booked passage at Rotterdam on the sailing ship "Winter
Galley" to America. Edward Paynter, the salty ship's captain of many years on
the oceans, steered his ship across the uncharted, wide Atlantic, often
through wind and raging seas, and sometimes blown off course. After many anxious
days and restless nights, with supplies and water becoming low, his seamanship
in battling the raw elements brought his cargo of adventuresome and hardy
pioneers safely to their port of destination, Germantown, near Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, arriving 5 September 1738 after an ocean trip of several months.

After many days of contined quarters and unspeakable conditions on the ship,
theyt breathed the clean fresh air and heard new and unfamiliar sounds of a
bustling market-place, heard bucksters shouting, selling their war3es to the
new arrivals, saw strange faces of people in frontier dress, hurryuing to and
fro, others loounging in the shade of large trees, perhaps discussing the
topics of the day, politics, religion or maybe the latest news of an Indian
uprising in the West.

Heinrich later warranted land near Longswamp in Gerks, Co. Pennsylvania. We
know that he actually lived in Longswamp where he was a taxpayer and
treasurer of the German Reformed Church u7nt8il he no longer lived there.

We know that Heinrich's wiufe was Elizabeth Wohlraber, but after a diligent
search can find no Wohlraber in America. Since many of the others who lived
at Longswamp have been documented as having made several trips to and from
Europe, we believe it probable that he returned for a wife. The only clue we
find is that in 1752 a Matthias Bollinger left Bosenbach, Zeribrucken, a part
of the Rhineland now in France for America. Yoder, a genealogist, author,
and researcher, documents that Matthias Bollinger left there with a wife and two
children in March 1752. Heinrich was not at Longswamp in 1748 to be on the
building committee but had been there earlier to organize the church and was
there later to pay taxes. He two oldest sons were Johannes and Heinrich.
Johannes was born in 1750 and Heinrich, Jr. on Jan 1, 1752.

I HOPE YOU FIND SOMETHING OF INTEREST IN THIS HISTORY WHICH WAS FOUND BY A
RELATIVE OF MINE. MY BOLLINGER FAMILY MOVED TO NORTH CAROLINA AND THEN A LOT
OF THEM MOVED ON TO MISSOURI. THERE WERE SO MANY OF THEM THAT WE HAVE A
COUNTY NAMED BOLLINGER.

I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO PROOF THE ABOVE -- SORRY. I SHOULD HAVE SHUT UP A
LONG TIME AGO BECAUSE MY SISTER USUALLY CALLS ME BEFORE NOW AND SHE IS PROBABLY
W9ONDERING WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.
VIV

This thread: