BOWEN-L Archives

Archiver > BOWEN > 1997-07 > 0870037227

From: Marguerite Mason <>
Subject: Bowen, Arlthur 1744 VA, USA
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 14:00:27 -0700

Arthur Bowen, born 1744 Augusta Co, VA; died 1816 Washington Co, VA,
(son of John Bowen Sr & Lily McIlhaney; grandson of Moses Bowen &
Rebecca Rhys).
Arthur Bowen married Mary McMurray 2 Jul6 1774.
Their children were:
1. John Bowen, b 1775, mar Mary Byars
2. Rebecca Bowen, b 1776, mar Henry R. Thompson
3. Nancy Agnes Bowen, b 1778, mar John Byars 10 Apr 1796
4. Arthur, b 23 Apr 1779. mar Catherine Poston
5. Jane, mar Moses Allen
6. Elizabeth
7. William

Info from "Bowens of Virginia & Tennessee" by Jamie Ault Grady.
Last two children from "in the sweet by and by" by Mary Coughlan White

Arthur Bowen, referred to as Captain Arthur Bowen, participated in the
"Battle of Kings Mountain" along with brothers, "Captain Robert Bowen,
Lt. Rees Bowen (killed at Kings Mountain), and Henry and Charles Bowen.

When I posted the info on Charles Bowen, I believe I said that the
Captain Bowen referred to there was Charles's brother, William. However,
some writers say that "Captain William Bowen" was detained at home and
Lt. Rees Bowen took command. If so, then "Captain Bowen" would have been
Arthur or Robert.
He and several of his brothers participated in "The Battle of Kings
Mountain."

mARGUERITE

This thread: