BOWIE-L Archives

Archiver > BOWIE > 2005-07 > 1122086507

Subject: bowie's Maine to NH
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:41:47 -0400

From: "smiles0768" <>
To: <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:54:17 -0500
Subject: bowie's

hi my name is ruth whitney and my grandmother was deborah jane bowie and
i am looking for any and all bowie related to her. i have found a couple
but i am stuck on bradford m bowie married melissa chase. wondering if
you had any info that might help me. very new to this. thanks for you
help
ruth whitney

Ruth,

I have a Bradford M Bowie whos line is two alexanders above him and
then more back into Stirling Scotland

see what you think of this and let me know, its the Bowies of Maine line
back to Stirling Scotland then.

Farmer and blacksmith for many years. Lived in Weare 70 years. NH Arch
lists
age at death 90y Int East Weare NH Cem. di 29 Apr 1936.
From:
I just found a note that I had taken some time ago. In the History
of
Weare, NH, page 736:

Bradford Bowie, son of Alexander, b. Bowdoin ME 27 Jan 1846; m. Melissa
Chase. Occupation, blacksmith.

Dot Griebel email 6/14/97

I have on his father, Alexander Bowie

In 1790, Alexander Boah is listed in Bowdoin with 1 male and 3 females.
That
doesn't account for David and George in 1814. They appear to be sons of
George of Cape Elizabeth.

An Alexander Boey in ME census of 1810.
Alexander Bowie is listed in 1820 census of Bowdoin, Lincoln County p.
183.
Alexander Bowe is listed in Bowdoin, Lincoln County, Maine census p. 316
of 1840.

From: (dot Greibel 5/23/97)
MOCA Series 2, SA2-100, Bowdoinham Village Cemetery, Bowdoinham, ME
Bowe, Hannah, wife of Alex Bowe, d. 27 Sept 1859, aet 87 yrs.
Information on
Hannah came first in a letter from Robert C. Brooks, P.O. Box 334,
Bedford,
MA 01730. This was in 1979 or 1980. He wrote "my line is through
Alexander's sister, Isabel, who m. 13 April 1761 her step-brother James
Ridley."
According to Lester Punchard, 11 Church St., Salem, MA 01970,
Alexander-3
Bowie (Alexander-2, George-1) b. ca 1790, d. 1872, ae 82, m. Deborah
Tibbett.
Children were: Phoebe, b. 24 Apr 1811; John, b. 24 Dec 1813; George, b.
29
Oct 1815; Sophia, b. 8 July 1820; Hannah W. b 21 Dec 1822, Bowdoin ME, m.
2
May 1844 in Salem, MA Jonathan P. Punchard, d. 7 Mar 1895, Salem, MA;
Alexander, b. 14 June 1824. I met Lester a short while ago in my local
library where we both were doing research.

3rd marriage intention filed 3 Oct 1860.

Cemetery Inscriptions and Revolutionary, War of 1812, and Civil War
Veterans
of Bowdoin, Maine, by Charlene B. Bartlett and Jayne E. Bickford,
Heritage
Books, Inc., 1993
Page 32--Anna L. Bowie, mother, wife of Rev. R. S. Bowie, died 7 Sep 1886
at
86 yrs.
Page 97--Harriet A. Bowie, 1834-1896.
Page 153--Civil War Veterans, James H. Bowie

His father was also Alexander

Alexander Bowie was born in Truro, Mass. 3/24/1749, Alexander said to be
the son of "George and Mary Boey"

Mayflower Descendants Vol 18 pg. 53-54, as well as Vital Records of
Truro, Mass.
Children of George and Mary Boey/Bowoey
pg. 73 b. Alexander 24 Mar 1748/9

When he was baptized two months later, only mothers name given (Ellis,
1962)
"May 14 Alexander the son of Mary Bowoey baptised" (Truro Vital
Records)1749

He was about eight years of age when his mother moved him to Maine

1790 census Alexander "Boah" in Bowdointown with 1 male and 3 fem,
himself, his wife, and two
daughters. (Ellis, 1962). He would be about 41 here., or this could be a
son? as below census implies.

1800 census Alexander Bowey in Bowdoin, Lincoln County. He is listed
with 0 males under 10, 1 male 10-16yrs, 1 male 16-26, 1 male 26-45, no
males over 45, 3 females under 10, 2 females 10-16yrs, 0 females 16-26,
and 1 female (mother), 26-45. No females over 45. Thus his youngest
male would be born before, 1790, his eldest before 1785.

1810 census Alexander "Boey" resided 1810 in Maine ?son vs father
1810 census of the Town of Bowdoin is listed with 0 males under 10, 0
male 10-16yrs, 0 male 16-26, 0 male 26-45, 1 males over 45, 0 females
under 10, 1 females 10-16yrs, 2 females 16-26, and 0 female (mother),
26-45. 1 females over 45, no others, 1 loom, 120 yds of cotten and linen
cloth (more than average) and 80 yds of woolen cloth (double average)
(1810 census pg 43)(ages of children fit)
1820 census Alexander "Boey" resided 1820 in Maine
1820 BOWIE ALEXANDER Lincoln County ME 183 Bowdoin Federal Population
Schedule ME 1820 Federal Census Index ME320131340

9/25/1998 email from Calvin Bowie:
I'm not sure if you have already been down this road trying to find
out who
Hannah wife of Alexander Bowe was. If so, then file this accordingly.
If
not, here is what I found at the Maine Historical Society in Portland
today.
From "Abstracts of Revolutionary War Pension Files":

BOWE, Hannah former wid, R!063, MA Line, see Jacob Merrill.

MERRILL, Jacob, Hannah Bowe former wid, R1063, MA Line, wid appl 8 Dec
1845
Lincoln Co ME aged 84 a res of Topsham ME, sol lived at Freeport MA (ME)
during the Rev War & he lived until his death on 4 Jul 1792, sol m Hannah
Litchfield 8 Mar 1787, wid m 2nd to Benjamin Carter who d 10 May 1810 &
she
m 3rd to Alexander Bowe who d 1 Feb 1832, on 22 May 1851 a Zaccheus S.
Curtis of Brunswick ME signed p.o.a. for himself & other surviving
children
of dec'd wid, towitt; Jacob & Moses Merrill, Hannah Nicherson & Sophia
Kincaid.
sol = soldier
wid = widow

Is Hannah Litchfield the wife of Alexander Bowe the one you are looking
for?
Cal Bowie

MOCA record shows Hannah as wife of Alexander (probably second wife from
above date of children and rev. war abstracts). .

This thread: