BOWLES-L Archives

Archiver > BOWLES > 2007-11 > 1194631761

Subject: [BOWLES] what i have on Andrew yeargan senior and oney bowles
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 13:09:21 EST

Andrew yeargan senior and oney bowles

About 1735, Andrew yeargan, senior was born possibly in Brunswick county,
Virginia.
Some genealogists believe he emigrated from wales to the united states of
America. I can find no proof of this.
Some genealogists believe andrew’s brothers were samuel yeargan and thomas
yeargan of Brunswick county virginia. I can find no proof of this. however, I
do believe the three men were related.
The surname yeargan has been spelled differently by family members –
yeargin, yeargen, yeargain, etc,
On january 3 1757 andrew married oney (anna?) bowles (boules?) at dover
church in Goochland county, virginia. Goochland county is just northwest of
Richmond, virginia.
Oney was born about 1744 in Goochland county. she was the daughter of John
Bowles and his wife Sarah.
Andrew became a Methodist circuit rider in virginia. The first Methodist
chapel in that state was named “yeargan’s chapel”.
Some time after the American Revolution, Andrew and oney and most of their
children moved to north carolina. Andrew was a circuit rider there also.
Sarah bowles’ (oney’s mother) will was written october 31 and november 1
1783 and recorded in will Book b. for casewell county, north carolina:
Sarah bowles last will and testament named: son john bowles, daughter mary
Washington, granddaughters sarah and nancy bowles, daughter oney yeargin,
benjamin yeargin and his brother john yeargin, grandson andrew yeargin, Bartlett
yeargin, and grandson Jordon bowles. executors were son john bowles and
grandson benjamin yeargin. Witnesses were william waite, walter Oakley, and john
cragg.
On january 7 1786, the inventory of sarah bowles estate was taken by john
reid in casewell county. John bowles was the executor. Buyers were andrew
yeargin, jno. Washington, Edmund colley, and david roberts.
before the turn of the nineteenth century, Andrew, oney and some of their
children emigrated to south carolina where andrew continued preaching the
Gospel.
1800 greenville, Greenville district, south carolina federal census:
head andrew yeargin
free males
1 sixteen – twenty-five, 1 twenty-six through forty-four, 1 forty-five and
over
free females - 1 forty-five and over
3 slaves
On december 1 1807, Andrew wrote his last will and testament. It is filed
in will book A Page 184 of the Greenville District of south carolina.
“South Carolina, Greenville Dist. Whereas I Andrew Yeargin of the district
and state aforesaid being very sick & likely to depart this present life do
acknowledge this my last will & Testament that is to say my wife Onna Yeargin
shall hold & possess the Negro slaves all that I now own during her lifetime &
freely to enjoy the privileges & profit that shall arise by them during her
life & at her decease the said Negroes to be equally divided amongst my
children and not sold or disposed of otherwise & further I say that my will is
that my son James Yeargin shall be an equal legatee with the rest of the
children and I do appoint my son Devereaux Yeargin to act as guardian for him & in
his name & stead to dispose of his property in a proper manner for his use(?)
Given under my hand & seal this first of December 1807. S/ Andrew (V)
Yeargin.
Wit: Ben Griffith, Devereaux Yeargin.”
Andrew died in 1808 in greenville county and is probably buried there.
>From will book a: “Benjamin Griffith appeared before David Goodlett, Esq.,
duly sworn, made oath that he saw Andrew Yeargin sign, seal & publish the
above writing to be his last will... & that Devaureaux Yeargin was a witness to
the same.
6 Jun 1808. S/ Ben Griffith.”
>From will book a: “A citation issued & duly published to prove last will &
testament of A. Yeargin dec'd. letters of adm. with will annexed granted
Devereaux Yeargin 6 Jun 1808.”
>From will book a: “1 Aug 1808 Inv. returned of Andrew Yeargin.”
On June 14, 1813 oney wrote her last will and testament. It is filed in
Will Book A page 223 in Greenville District, south carolina.
“South Carolina Greenville Dist. Know all men by these presents that I Oney
Yeargin of the district & state aforesaid do make this my last will and
Testament viz at my decease I wish my body ... in a decent Christian burial my
soul to God... of sound mind and disposing memory... in manner and form
following That is to say... bequeath to my beloved daughter Sarah W. Hudson half of
my part of the stock of cattle and all other... one-half household furniture
also one half of all property anywise to me belong, Bartlett Yeargin 2/3
remainder after Sarah W. Hudson part taken and the remainder of my estate after
the above division I give bequeath unto my beloved son Samuel Yeargin. And I do
hereby appoint Devereaux Yeargin and Bartlett Yeargin my executors to carry
this above will into effect and I do __(?) acknowledge this to be my last
will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this
14th day of June 1813. S/ Oney (X) Yeargin.”
Test B. Griffith, Polley (X) Griffith.”
in 1813 oney died in Greenville county and is probably buried there.
>From will book a “Benjamin Griffith one of the witnesses to the above will
came before me & made oath that he saw Oney Yeargin sing... And that to the
best of his knowledge she was then of a sound disposing mind... at the same
time I did qualify Devereaux Yeargin executor to the said will. 20 Oct 1813. S/
D. Goodlet OGD, proved 20 Oct 1813 Greenville Dist., SC”