BOWLES-L Archives

Archiver > BOWLES > 2011-01 > 1294718569

From: Linne Gravestock <>
Subject: [BOWLES] Elizabeth Bowles m. James Onan, Franklin Co., KY, 1823
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:02:49 -0800

Match: Bowles
Source:
From: heritage62 <>
Subject: Re: [KYUNION] I have the wrong Catherine O'Nan married to Isaac

Don,

It is very easy to get all of the James, Dennis and John Onan's mixed
up. All of the Onan families seem to have children named James,
Dennis and John. I still haven't found all of them and I have been
searching the Onan's for over 35 years. I disagree that the James Onan
Sr. (b. abt 1755) who married Elizabeth Lincoln might have had a
second wife. From my research in original Shelby and Henry county
records, I believe Elizabeth Lincoln may have outlived her husband and
possibly remarried. My husband is a direct descendant of this line
through their daughter Rebecca. If you have documentation indicating
otherwise, I would be most grateful to have it.

James and Elizabeth's son James Onan, Jr. (b. abt 1798) married
Elizabeth (Betsy) Bowles (b. abt 1805) on 26 August 1823 in Franklin
Co, Ky. Bondsman was his sister Rebecca's husband, John Fitzsimmons
[Simmons]. Elizabeth is found on the 1850 Daviess Co, Ky census with
her younger children living with her son John W. Onan. Her husband,
James Onan, Jr. may have died prior to the 1850 census as he is not
shown with the family.

The James Onan (b. abt 1785) who married Margaret Carrico is unknown
to me; however, she is surely related to the other Carricos . The
History of Union County lists his name as "James Dennis" Onan. This
James (Dennis) might possibly be a child of Dennis Onan b. 27 May 1742
in Berks Co, PA and died about 1811 in Shelby Co, KY. I have not
discovered the name of Dennis' wife. I've only found one child of
Dennis and unknown wife and that child is John Onan, Sr. (b. 1773) who
married Margaret Lincoln (b. 1783), dau of Thomas Lincoln and
Elizabeth Carsner/Karsner of Fayette Co, KY. John Onan, Sr. and wife
Margaret Lincoln died in Spencer Co, KY. Their son Elisha married
Matilda Conn, widow of James Bean, on 27 May 1845 in Union Co, KY. I
haven't researched all of John and Margaret's children but I'm sure
others also came to Union Co.

The parents of Dennis Onan b. 27 May 1742 in Berks Co, PA were Dennis
Onan, Sr (b. abt 1720) and Rebecca Clempson. Dennis and Rebecca were
the parents of at least five children, and probably more that we have
not yet found. Reference source is Goshenhoppen Registers 1741-1819:

1. Dennis Onan, Jr, b. 27 May 1742 in Berks Co, PA. Died abt 1811 in
Shelby Co, Ky. Unknown wife.

2. Mary Onan, b. 18 December 1743 in Berks Co, PA. (No further info on her)

3. Rebecca Onan, b. 14 April 1746 in Berks Co, PA. (No further info on her)

4. William Onan, Sr., b. abt 1753 possibly in Culpepper Co, VA. Died
abt 1825 in Henry Co, KY. Married Mary Ann Carrico abt 1777 in
Virginia. She was the dau of Abel Carrico and Elizabeth Simms of
Charles Co, MD. [This is my husband's direct line. 2nd cousins from
William Onan, Sr. and James Onan, Sr. line married so my husband
descends through both lines.]

5. James Onan, Sr., b. abt 1755 probably in Virginia. Died date
unknown in Shelby Co, KY. He married Elizabeth Lincoln abt 1780 in
Virginia. She was the dau of John Lincoln and Rebecca Flowers. [This
is my husband's direct line. 2nd cousins from William Onan, Sr. and
James Onan, Sr. line married so my husband descends through both
lines.]

All of this information is from my working files and I'm sure there
are errors. I would be grateful for any information you might have to
verify or refute any of this information.

Barbara Brantley O'Nan

This thread: