BOYD-L Archives

Archiver > BOYD > 2006-03 > 1141403936

From: "Martin Wood" <>
Subject: Re: [BOYD] George Hay BOYD
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:38:56 -0000

IGI searches come up with Margaret but not Mary. I think Lauren is right
about this. Why did you think Mary had a sister called Margaret though?

I had previously thought that there were two George Hay Boyds (one born in
Turriff and one in Old Machar - but the double entry in registers was
explained - see
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/textindices/B/BOYD+2005+9432645591+F

Strangely, however, the double entries are not there for his brother Robert
and sister Penelope (nor for those subsequently born in Crimond).

I have:

Family of William Boyd (Minister of Crimond) and Janet Mackie

Turriff

No. Year Surname Forename Parent Names

1 25 Jan 1792 BOYD PENELOPE WILLIAM BOYD

2 13 Mar 1793 BOYD ROBERT WILLIAM BOYD

3 22 Jun 1796 BOYD GEORGE HAY WILLIAM
BOYD

Crimond

No. Year Surname Forename Parent Names

4 17 Mar 1799 BOYD WILLIAM WILLIAM
BOYD/JANET MACKIE

5 11 Aug 1802 BOYD ISABELLA WILLIAM BOYD

6 3 May 1810 BOYD ALEXANDER WM. BOYD/JANNET MACKIE

This is based on information from Scotland People website but the
information is also in the IGI.

The IGI also has a marriage, as you know:

Spouse: MARGARET TOWER

Marriage: 28 APR 1823 Old Machar, Aberdeen, Scotland

M119068

This George Hay Boyd, I believe, died in Ceylon. This is an obituary I
found at the British Library:

"In Memory of (GEORGE HAY BOYD, a native of Crimond: Aberdeenshire,
Scotland, and Fourteen years Merchant in Colombo. Who died at Galle, 21st
November, 1838. Aged 42 Years.

"He left Colombo on November 15, 1838, by the "Caroline", with Mrs. Boyd and
family, his partner, Mr. George Ackland, and Dr. Dodsworth, intending to
proceed to England, but he died on board the vessel in Galle harbour on the
21st. The "Caroline" left for the Cape on the 27th, taking Lieutenant
Ostheyden, C.R.R. as a passenger for that place, and the Rev.

Mr. Trimnell to England. Mrs. Boyd remained behind. She had a son at Colombo
on January 15, 1839. His only daughter Mary married at North

Silver Street, Aberdeen, September 12, 1861, Rev. Alexander Cumming. He
belonged to the firm of Ackland and Boyd."

His namesake, William Boyd [no relationship is given - and no further
information], gives the following account of him in the Ceylon Literary
Register:

"He was a son of the Rev. William Boyd of Crimond, and a partner in the firm
of Ackland & Boyd of Calcutta and Colombo, represented in Ceylon now by
Messrs. Darley. Butler & Co. The firm started in April 1829, and suspended
payment in the great coffee monetary crash of 1848. Mr George Ackland was a
merchant in Colombo as early as 1828, and Mr George Boyd must have been
there as early as 1824.

"At the time of Capt. Bird's happy venture in coffee planting, he saw at
once that a new era was dawning on that country, and he lost no time in
communicating his views to his kinsmen and partner. Government land was
then selling at five shillings per acre, and those three gentlemen
immeadiately took measures to purchase large tracks of many thousand acres
in all the most eligible districts in the interior. They bought Moorootie
in the Four Korales; Kondesalle, Salwattie, Galmadua Ugha Pettie, Pallikele,
Degalle and Dodangolle in the Doombra Valley. They bought the whole of the
Madoolkelle, Oonangalle and Kelebokka valleys on the Knuckles, besides large
tracks of land in Saffragam, Hantane and Hewahettiya."

William Boyd describes him as "a tall, handsome, reserved-looking man, with
a calm, dignified bearing." (ibid p. 389)

"Mr George Bird planted the greater part of Kondesalle for the firm, whilst
two young men, Messrs. Hudson and Stephens, better known as 'Jerry' and
'Stumps', began to clear Pallikelle under his direction, and Mr R B Tytler
[Robert Boyd Tytler - another cousin descended from Garden Boyd of Turriff],
who had some experience of coffee planting in Jamaica, was engaged to take
charge of the estates already opened, and also those about to be opened for
the firm in Ceylon. Shortly after his arrival at Galle Mr George Boyd was
thrown from his horse and died at Galle from the effects."

"As usual, William Boyd is romanticising when he professes to give the cause
of his death. George Boyd was a member of the first Legislative Council of
Ceylon in 1834. He came out to Ceylon as Commander of an Indian trader, the
Mary. "

The Mary belonged to Mathew Boyd of Camberwell. George Hay Boyd was also
Master of the Almorah (another of Mathew's ships) which he sailed to
Australia in 1823 and into a lengthy legal wrangle!

http://www.law.mq.edu.au/scnsw/html/r_v_mitchell__no_1___1825.htm

I have also got a copy of George Hay Boyd's will if you'd like a copy let me
know.

So - no he wasn't a minister but definitely part of a strong presbyterian
family.

Hope all this helps

Martin