BRADLEY-L Archives

Archiver > BRADLEY > 1999-05 > 0926368527

From: Neil Smith <>
Subject: [BRADLEY-L] Will of Mary Walton
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 13:35:27 -0700

Thought all of you related to the line of Richard Ledbetter (b. Aug.
12, 1717 and d. 1749) married to Mary Walton (b. Oct. 23, 1711 and d.
July 17, 1779) would like to see Mary's last will and testament:
Will of Mary Walton, written Nov. 23, 25 and 28th, 1778 and recorded
July 26, 1779 in Brunswick County, Virginia with son George and daughter
Mary Bradley administrators per Will Book 5/57:

"In the name of God Amen, I Mary Ledbetter of the County of Brunswick in
the State of Virginia being sick and weak in body but of perfect sound
sense and memory and calling to mind the mortality of my body knowing
that is is appointed unto all men once to die I make and ordain this my
last will and testament in manner and form following revoking and
disannulling all other wills heretofore made by me.

Item, I give and bequeath my soul into the hands of the Almighty God who
gave it to me, and trusting his memory for a general pardon of all my
sins through my blessed savior and Redeemer.

Item, my will is that two hogshead of tobacco that I left in the hands
of my son Isaac Ledbetter when I moved down to the place where I now
live should be sold and a sufficiency of my estate to pay all my just
and lawful debts.

Item, I give and bequeath to my eldest son, Isaac Ledbetter one negro
fellow named Thomas and five pounds good and lawful money of Virginia to
him and his heirs or assigns forever. Item, I give and bequeath to my
son George Ledbetter all the land belonging to me on the south side of
the Creek called Little Creek up to the Nathan Harris land and also
beginning at a line one hundred yards below a hill called Douglas Hill
on the same side of the Creek as the hill is off the line to run a
direct south-east course from the said place on Rattlesnake Creek to my
line toward Jordan's Ford and all the land up from the said line to
Nathan Harris's. I give to him or assign forever also a negro boy named
Hercules.

Item, my will and desire is that when as there is or is likely to be a
contract between my daughter Mary, the late wife of John Bradley
deceased and my son Richard Ledbetter his heirs or assigns a good and
lawful right to a tract of land lying on Broad River in North Carolina.
Where on John Bradley deceased formerly lived then I give my land and
Plantation not here to fore given to my said daughter her heirs or
assigns forever, but if my said daughter Mary should not make my son
Richard her heir or assigns a good right to the said land on Broad River
then I give my land and Plantation to my son Richard his heirs or
assigns forever. I give and bequeath to my son Richard one negor girl
named Ligg to him, his heirs or assigns forever.

Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah Merick three hundred
pounds to her heirs or assigns forever to be paid by my executors.

I give and bequeath to my three daughters one deep dish and pewter
basin, the eldest to take first choice and so on.

Item, all my estate be it of what kind or quality my desire is that it
should be sold to the highest bidder for ready money and the money from
the sales to be equally divided among all of my children after all above
mentioned in the will be paid.

Item, I do appoint my son George Ledbetter and my daughter Mary Bradley
to be my executor fo this my last will and testament, as witnessed my
hand and seal this 25th day of November 1778.

Signed, sealed and acknowledged
in witness of mark
Teste Mary W "X" Ledbetter (L.S.
Gideon Harris
Her At a court held in Brunswick County the 24 day
Patience "X" Lane of July 1779 this will was proved according
Catherine "X" Harris to law and the oaths of Gideon Harris and
mark Catherine Harris
Witnessed there to and ordered to be recorded

Sincerely,
Neil Smit

This thread: