BRASWELL-L Archives

Archiver > BRASWELL > 2007-08 > 1187961053

From: "Lucy A Barron" <>
Subject: Re: [BRASWELL] Braswells DeKalb Co. TN
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:10:53 -0400

Nona,

This is who I think M.D. BRASWELL is. However, note that it says in your source "veteran of the Civil War." According to my information (a typed transcription of an old letter written 1898 by Mathew's brother John to John's eldest son John Simeon "Sim" BRASWELL), Mathew died 1864 presumably while off fighting. In 1860, he lived on the same page as Samuel ALLISON in District 17 of Smith Co., TN.

Mathew BRASWELL was born 7 Jan 1836; he died 27 Mar 1864 in Troupe Co., GA, at age 28; I suspect he died in the Civil War. Living in same household under name M. D. BRASEL, age 23, a carpenter, with head Geo SATTERFIELD in 1860 and on same page with Samuel ALLISON. Also in Geo SATTERFIELD's household is Simeon JONES (married a dau. of James G. PARIS) and John PATTERSON, all carpenters.

A Matthew BRASWELL married a Sarah TURNER on 6 Feb 1856 in Dekalb Co., TN. It is thought that this may be the Matthew, who was the son of Leroy and Mary BRASWELL, living in Dekalb Co., TN, age 18 in 1850.

My Mathew BRASWELL was the son of Robert BRASWELL and Amelia STEVENS. Grandson of Dempsey BRASWELL and Elizabeth GRIFFEN / John STEVENS and Mary LOVE.

Your M.D. BRASWELL could be Mathew, son of Leroy, however, the names living in the household of Geo SATTERFIELD in 1860 are associated with my BRASWELLs and BAIRDs, as is Samuel ALLISON. Thus, I have identified him as same as my Mathew.

thanks, Lucy

>>> "Nona Williams" <> 8/23/2007 7:24 PM >>>
The following records are all found in "History of DeKalb County, Tennessee"
by Will T. Hale.

I'm wondering which BRASWELL owned the business DERICKSON & BRASWELL in
early DeKalb Co., Tennessee? It is mentioned in Dr. Wright's daybook as an
early firm. Any ideas?

The history continues to mention early residents in the Liberty neighborhood
during the time period of 1832-1833:

HENRY HART (husband of LUCRETIA WILLIAMS, daughter LUCREASY BRASWELL
WILLIAMS of Nash Co., NC)
WILLIAM BRAZWELL (LEROY's brother?)
GILBERT WILLIAMS (son of SAMUEL WILLIAMS and SARAH BRASWELL
SAMUEL WILLIAMS (his wife was SARAH BRASWELL WILLIAMS, daughter of SAMUEL
BRASWELL of Nash Co., NC and his mother was LUCREASY BRASWELL WILLIAMS,
daughter of WILLIAM BRASWELL and MARTHA of Nash Co., NC)
LEE BRAZWELL (son of SAMPSON BRASWELL, son of SAMUEL BRASWELL of Nash Co.,
NC)

SAMSON BRASWELL was mentioned as a distiller. His father-in-law, SAMUEL
WILLIAMS, was also a distiller, so perhaps SAMPSON took over the family
business.

Among slave owners of the county were:

SAMPSON WILLIAMS and the BRAZWELLs

The county adjacent to Dowelltown "was settled by as high-class men as any
mentioned in other sections of the county". Among them were WILLIAM and
SAMSON WILLIAMS, MATTHEW SELLARS, the HARTs ..." and others.

A veteran of the Civil War was M.D. BRASWELL who served as a second
lieutenant in the 24th Tennessee Infantry under Col. R.D. ALLISON. Does
anyone know who he was? SAMPSON BRASWELL was a private in the same company.
SAMPSON died January 4, 1862. Who was he? The SAMPSON BRASWELL who married
PRISCILLA WILLIAMS was too old to serve in that war.

The 24th took part in battles at Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro,
Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Franklin and Nashville and eventually
surrendered at Greensboro, NC.

D.L. BRASWELL was mentioned as a private as were PETE BRAZWELL and J.M.
BRAZWELL.

PETE BRASWELL might be PETER SAMPSON BRASWELL, son of WILLIAM BRASWELL and
CLARISSA CHLOE SELLERS, but I'm not sure about this. My BRASWELLs and
Williams families left Tennessee ca 1853 and I haven't researched the
families who stayed behind in Tennessee.

There are some really good interviews of Civil War veterans in Tennessee
archives. Does anyone have access them? Those records would help to identify
the families of these men.

I've been contacted by several people who need help identifying their
BRASWELL families in Smith and DeKalb Counties.