BRASWELL-L Archives

Archiver > BRASWELL > 2007-08 > 1187986699

From: "Nona Williams" <>
Subject: Re: [BRASWELL] Braswells DeKalb Co. TN
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:18:19 -0700

Lucy,
Here are some more details from "History of DeKalb County Tennessee" by Will
T. Hale, published in 1969. Although it isn't identified as a reprint, I
have also seen an earlier version of the same book by the same author many
years ago. I obtained it through interlibrary loan from the Sutro Library in
San Francisco. That original version contained extracts or transcripts from
Dr. Wright's day book, but this 1969 edition that I've purchased omits that
and maybe other items. Unfortunately neither book is indexed so they are
difficult to use for research.

I explain this because if you find an earlier edition, the information I'm
citing may appear on other pages in the earlier edition.

pg. 165 Eight Confederate companies were made up in DeKalb County, while
about half of Capt. P.C. Shield's company (G) of Col. John H. Savage's
regiment were from the county. ...

pp. 168-169 Capt. R.D. Allison's company (F), 24th Tennessee Infantry, was
raised at Alexandria in 1861 and was organized with the regiment mentioned.
[I can't find what regiment he had previously mentioned.] He was elected
Colonel and H.P. Dowell captain. Allison resigned in 1862 and organized a
cavalry battalion at Alexandria, with J.S. Reece, who had been discharged
from the 24th because of his age.

Officers: Colonel, R.D. Allison, captain H.P. Dowell; first lieutenant
J.F.Luckey; second, W.S. Patey; third W.D. Fielding; sergeants, James A.
Barnett; M.D. BRASWELL, Lewis E. Simpson, J.W. Jaques; corporals C. Scott,
G.W. Gordon, J.A. Clark, A. Rollands.

Privates: James Allison, Robert Allison, D.L. Allen, J.L. Askew, T.B. Brown,
E.A. Barbee, S. Briggs, A. J. Bradford, Robert Barbee, W.P. Bennett, James
Barr, Tobe Briggs, J.R. Betty, T.F. Bradley, Giles Bowers, SAMPSON BRASWELL,
T. Brown, L.B. Baker, G. W. Bowers, Abe Britton, Isaac Cooper and many more.

pg. 170 Died: James Allison, Dec. 24, 1861; SAMPSON BRASWELL Jan. 4, 1862;
W.B. Carter, Jan. 10, 1862; W.H. Mott, Alexandria after being wounded at
Murfreesboro.

Company A. Capt. L.N. Savage was raised around Smithville in May 1861 and
mustered into the 16th Reg't June 9. There were no BRASWELLs in his company.

pg. 175. Capt. Perry Adcock's company was also raised in the Smithville
section. No Braswells were mentioned.

pp. 179-180 Allison's squadron when it surrendered with General Shaw in NC
in 1865, numbered only about 30 men. This list includes D.L. BRASWELL

pp. 189-190 In the memoranda of the volume by Adjutant General J.B. Brownlow
giving the rolls of Tennessee Federals for 1861-65, it is said of Stokes
Regiment that it was the routing of Cols. Bennett and Ward on the Dickerson
Pike in Sept. 1861, in the defeat of Col. Dibrill, driving him out of
Neely's Bend ... and under Col. Blackburn, a part was in the battle of
Milton and in numerous engagements around Liberty and Snow's Hill. The
muster rolls of his three DeKalb County companies are given below: [note I'm
not clear if he's speaking of Col. Blackburn or Gen. Brownlow here and am
unsure if he's saying these troops were federal soldiers or confederate
soldiers

Here J.B. Allison is a sergeant. W.G. Allison is a private and other
privates mentioned are P. Bozarth, PETE BRAZWELL, J.M. BRAZWELL, S.M.
WILLIAMS and G.P.W. WILLIAMS.

[If these are my WILLIAMS, they were NOT Federal soldiers. After the war, a
couple of my WILLIAMS who'd stayed behind in Tennessee tried to claim for
war losses and their claims were denied because they were known confederate
sympathizers.]

I admit to being confused by these records. For one, Will Hale's writing
style can be hard to follow. It isn't always clear to whom or what he's
referring, I haven't studied Civil War records of Tennessee and can't
distinguish the names of Federal leaders and Confederate leaders in that
area. My families were in Missouri during the Civil War and I'm more
familiar with activities in that area.

I hope something here has been helpful. -Nona