BRAUND-L Archives

Archiver > BRAUND > 2000-11 > 0974946689

Subject: Our military ancestors!
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:31:29 -0600

Dear Braunds:
Thank you Cheryl, Cindy, Connie, Judy and Marwood. It was nice to read
about our military ancestors, and their long suffering family members, in
your recent e-mails.
Let me take this opportunity to express my regrets with the way in which
our military is being treated this month. By disavowing half the
military ballots cast in the recent election, the Al Gore Campaign has
given us "the bird" a week early. Now, last night the Florida Supreme
Court has shown how steadfastly "turkeys" flock. Despite them, I wish
all American Braunds a "Happy Thanksgiving".
With that behind us, let me acquaint you with the three generations of
military men in my family.
1) William Francis Horrell, the grandson of Eliza Braund (1810-1853)
Stoke Damerel, and my grandfather, was a soldier in the Spanish American
War 1897-99. After growing up in New Orleans and Waldheim, LA., he
served in Cuba and received an honorable discharge.
2) Edward Allen Horrell, my father, enlisted in the U. S. Navy in 1942
and served with the 93rd Seabees in the Philipines. He was Chief Warrant
Officer and continued to serve in the Navy Reserve after his return to
the states.
3) Michael Joseph Horrell, by brother, also joined the Navy in 1960. He
served four years aboard the U. S. Forrestal in the Mediterranean.
All were very proud of having served their country. And, we proud of
them.
Best wishes from New Orleans!
Gaye Coffer

This thread: