BREESE-L Archives

Archiver > BREESE > 2001-03 > 0985182450

From: Eva Sohlberg <>
Subject: Vinton P. Breese - anobituary
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:47:30 +0100

Hello List,

Barbara Kolk at the AKC Library kindly just sent me
a photo copy of an obit published in Popular Dogs,
Vol. 13, no.9, September 1940:

>Vinton P. Breese
>
> As we go to press, we are shocked to learn of the death of Vinton P.
>Breese on August 12th in Orange Memorial Hospital, Orange, N.J., at 61
>years of age.
> Mr. Breese was world renowned as an all-breed judge, writer and
>artist, and there was surely no more colorful character in all of dogdom.
>He started out as a dog fancier in early youth, soon becoming known as the
>breeder and owner of a score or more breeds, including Bulldogs, Boston
>Terriers, French Bulldogs, Irish Setters, English Setters, Pointers,
>Scottish Terriers, West Highlands, Yorkshires, Manchesters, Bull Terriers,
>Skyes and Germai, Shepherd Dogs. His first professional judging engagement
>was at New Bedford, Mass., in 1900, and it is estimated that in his almost
>half a century of activity since then he judged some 400 shows in
>practically every important city in the United States and Canada, besides
>filling return engagements many times. He frequently officiated at
>Westminster on three occasions having had a part in th@ selection of best
>in show, and was due to judge at Madison Square Garden again in February.
> In the writing field, Mr. Breese was for 18 years dog and horse
>editor of Town and Country, and, more recently, kennel editor of Country
>Life. His talent for painting miniatures and portraits of dogs was also
>well known, and another of his valuable contributions to the dog world was
>the glossary of technical terms which he compiled and illustrated for the
>American Kennel Club's official book, Pure Bred Dogs. -

I'm still interested in more obituaries and information about Vinton Breese,
as well as contacts with his relatives, hopefully someone on this list.

/ Eva Sg

This thread: