BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 1997-12 > 0881154036

From: <>
Subject: Re: John Ulrich Brown
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:00:36 -0500 (EST)

Dear Lynn,
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer you reguest. It's just that I'm
swamped at work and a little "frazzled".
To answer your question about my John Ulrich Brown and your Jacob
Ulrich---well, yes, the Brown's and Ulrich's are related and "THE" John Brown
may be related and I just haven't figured it out yet. Actually, I don't know
much of anything about "THE" John Brown's ancestry.
Your Jacob Ulrich, is I believe the one who was born 10 Jul 1803 in Roaring
Springs, Blair Co, Pa.; died 24 Nov 1863 in Willow Spring Twp, Douglas Co,
Ka.; and buried in the Ulrich Cem. He married ca. 1828/1830 to Mary Hoover,
who was born 3 Dec 1808 Blair Co, Pa; died 22 Oct 1883 in Willow Spring Twp,
Douglas Co, Ka; buried in Ulrich Cem. Am I correct?
If so, they had children: Elizabeth Ulrich, Christina Ulrich, who married
John C. Metsker; Benjamin Ulrich, who married Esther Shively; Anna Ulrich,
who married (1) Philip Cook and (2) James S. Adair; John Ulrich, who married
Lydia Brewer/Bower; Daniel Ulrich, who married (1) Mary E. Weybright and (2)
Mary A. Adolph; Jacob Ulrich, who married (1) Mary Ann Studebaker and (2)
Mary Hunter and (3) Susan Farring; Mary Ulrich, who married Joseph M.
Shively; Isaac Ulrich; Henry Ulrich, who married Martha Jones; Samuel Ulrich;
Sarah Ulrich; and Susannah Ulrich, who married Wesley Flory.
Jacob moved from Pa. to Dayton, Ohio; then to Richmond, Wayne Co, Ind; and
then arrived in Westport, Ka 20 Oct 1855 in a caravan of 11 wagons; then on
to Ozawkee, Kansas.
Jacob was probably the first Elder in the state of Ka,---he helped form the
first congregation of the First Church of the Brethren in Kansas, called
Cottonwood in Lyon County in 1856.
His family residence, barn and contents were destroyed when Quantrell burned
much of Lawrence, Kansas 21 Aug 1863. This contributed to Jacob's death.
Jacob was the Son of John Ulrich (1764-1838) and Christina Brumbaugh
(1777-1817). His wife, Mary Hoover, was the daughter of John Hoover and
Elizabeth Brumbaugh.
Now, as I say, Jacob, was the son of John Ulrich, who was the son of Daniel
Ulrich (1730-ca. 1781); who was the son of Stephen Ulrich (ca.
1688-1768/1776).
My John Ulrich Brown was the son of Jacob Brown (24 Oct 1799-18 Feb 1854) and
Elizabeth Ulrich (8 Apr 1781-22 Mar 1857). Elizabeth was the daughter of
Samuel Ulrich (1754-1822) and Mary Brumbaugh (ca. 1767-after 24 Oct 1828).
Samuel Ulrich was the son of Stephen Ulrich (1710-1785) and Elizabeth
Cripe/Rench (ca. 1726-between 1768-1781). Stephen Ulrich was the son of
Stephen Ulrich (ca. 1688-1768/1766)-----who was your ancestor also.
My John Ulrich Brown was born in Bedford Co, Pa. 26 Jul 1811; married (1)
Catherine Burger, (2) Delilah Miller (my ancestor), & (3) Margaret (Shipler)
Jamison.
He came to Jefferson Co, Iowa from Bedford Co, Pa. ca. 1846 with his second
wife, Delilah Miller. He died in Jefferson Co, Ia. 20 Dec 1890 and is buried
in the Brethren Cem. there.
I don't know that he ever visited Kansas, but it is entirely possible as his
brother, Jacob U. (I have his middle name as Ulrich, but others have it as
Ulyssus) Brown, lived in Okawkie, Jefferson Co, Kansas.
Jacob U. Brown was born 19 Jun 1809 in Bedford Co, Pa; died 31 May 1879 in
Okawkie, Jefferson Co, Ka; and is buried in Ozawkie Cem, Jefferson Co, Ka.
He married 6 Jan 1829 in Bedford Co, Pa. to Anna Amy Hoover, who was born 4
Aug 1805, the daughter of Martin Hoover and Maria Eshleman. Anna Amy died 4
Jun 1873 in Ozawkie, Jefferson Co, Ka. and is buried in the Ozawkie Cem.
Jacob U. Brown and Ann Amy Hoover had the following children: Elizabeth
Brown, who married Henry J. Fishel; John Hoover Brown, who married Nancy
Newman; Mary (Caroline ?) Brown; Samuel Hoover Brown, who married Sarah Ann
Root; Frances "Fannie" Brown, who married (1) Rev. Isaac Keim and (2) Rev.
Aaron Puderbaugh; Catherine Brown, who married Rev. Albert L. Pearsall; David
Brown; Nancy Brown, who married John Crowel; Jacob Hoover Brown, who married
Susannah Michael; Hannah Brown, who married Herman Newman; Franklin Hoover
Brown, who married Hortense Peppard; Amanda Brown, who married Louis Philip
King; and Elnora/Ellenora Brown, who married Osceola Charles Dewey.
Let me know if any of this is correct.
Must get to work now. Really glad to hear from you, and very interested in
anything you can add to these lines.
Phyllis Gillaspie
7500 S.E. Bloomfield Rd. #13
Des Moines, Iowa 50320