BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2001-05 > 0989889680

From: Mary Kay Coker <>
Subject: [BRE] Andrew Bostetter's Will: Cripe,Snyder,Warner,Tysher,Martin,Murray,Shott
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:21:20 -0400

Hi,

Saw the name Greib/Cripe flash by and wondered if anyone out there might be
descended from Jacob Greib or Cripe of Elkhart Co., MD, with wife Magdalena
(b. ca. 1769, MD). If so, they might be interested to know that Magdalena
appears to be the daughter of Andrew Bostetter (Bostater, Postetter, etc.)
per his will and estate distribution in Washington Co., MD. Also several
other Brethren names are mentioned: Snyder, Warner, Tysher, Shott, Martin,
and Murray as heirs. Executors or witnesses are named Long and Reichart.

Mary Kay Coker

ref. Morrow, Dale Walton and Deborah Jensen Morrow. Distribution of estate
accounts, Washington County, Maryland, 1806-1816. 1982. p. 8

POSTATER, Andrew. Adm. Jacob, David Long 6/15/08; John's legacy 140.0.0;
Christine Shattley [SHATT] 0.15.0; Susanna Varner's legacy 100.0.0;
children of Elizabeth 180.0.0; Catherine Snyder 187.0.0; Mary Tysher
200.0.0; Magdalena Grise [GRIBE] 144.10.0; Rose Martin 188.0.0; Catherine
Snyder, Susannah, Maria, Magdalena Grise [GRIBE], Rose Martin, children of
Elizabeth each 200.0.0; John Grise [GRIBE] 50.0.0; interest of 600.0.0 to
widow; to be equally divided between Jacob, Catherine Snyder, Susannah
Varner, Maria Tysher, Magdalena Grise [GRIBE], Rose Martin, each 19.13.3
T3127.18.0

[NOTE: The will of Andrew BOSTETER says his daughter was a GRIBE rather
than GRISE and his son-in-law as Jacob GRIBE. Believe this family to be the
one in Elkhart Co., IN, in the 1850 census, as Jacob and Magdalena CRIPE.
A deed also says Andrew's daughter Christina was the wife of Samuel SHATT
(perhaps SHOTT) not SHATTLEY. Susannah is supposedly wife of Henry WARNER;
Mary wife of John TYSHER/TEISHER; Rosannah wife of David MARTIN s/o
Nicholas; Catherine wife of Jacob SNYDER Jr.]

Washington Co., MD, Will Book (Liber B?), pp. 117-120, copy from the
courthouse

The last Will and Testament of Andrew Bosteter deceased

In the name of God Amen: I Andrew Bosteter of Washington County in the
State of Maryland being sick and weak in body but of sound and disposing
mind memory and understanding considering the certainty of death and the
uncertainty of the time thereof and being desirous to settle my worldly
affairs and thereby be the better prepared to leave this world when it
shall please God to call me hence do therefore make and publish this my
last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say. First
and principally I commit my soul into the hands of Almighty God and my body
to the earth, to be decently buried at the discretion of my Executors
hereinafter named and there after I devise and bequeath as follows: First I
give and bequeath unto my dear wife Elizabeth Bosteter all the books I now
have in possession, and of the household furniture as much as she shall
deem necessary: and she shall also have in the house where I now live, the
back room next to the Kitchen for her own use and enjoyment, and likewise
as she shall want and deem necessary: and she shall also have one of my
[unclear] which she shall choose and likewise two of my Cows which she
shall make choice of, and four of my sheep also: And she is also to have of
the best pasture on the place I now live for her creatures including one
colt also: And further she is to get for her own use and benefit two fifths
of all what the place on which I now live shall or may produce annually the
grain and every thing that may be devided with the bushel and shall be
devided in the bushel and flax and hemp when broke by the pound, the hay on
the heap and then ha[u]led home and fit for the stove and fireplace
ann[u]aly: and what she shall not want of her yearly income shall fall into
the hands of my Executors annaly. And provided she should at any time be
discondendet and desirous to change her situation she shall have privilege
to apply to my Executors and they shall sell all my lands and give unto her
the lawful interest of Six hundred pounds yearly And all the moveables
which she my said wife shall not choose to keep my Executors shall expose
to publick Sale and my son-in law Jacob Gribe is to have the preference to
live on the place I now possess complying with the delivering to my said
wife the two fifths yearly as above mentioned during her natureal life or
as long as she shall be contendet therewith or during his the said Gribe's
good beheavour, and my other place now in possession of Jacob Gribe known
by the name Walnut Bottom shall be rendet out likewise on such terms as my
Executors shall deem proper and after the decease of my said wife all my
lands shall be sold on terms most advantageous to all my heirs: and my
Executors shall give free and peaceable possession, a good title and a free
and clear deed of conveyance to the purchaser or purchasers of my said
lands. Whereas I have given to my youngest son John the amount of three
hundred and seventy pounds Maryland currency it is my will that my
Executors shall after having discharged all my dept give unto him the sum
of One Hundred and fourty pounds mony aforesaid of the first of what my
estate shall or may produce. And whereas my daughter Christina have
received her part which I gave her in land except two dollars which is my
will that my Executors shall pay to her at the same time when the above
mentioned sums ar[e] paid unto my son John and to my daughter Chris[t]ina:
It shall go in full sadisfaction of all right, title, interest claim and
demand whatsoever which they may or can in any way pretend to have or claim
of, in or to all or any part of my real or personal estate. And whereas I
have given to my eldest son Jacob to the amount of four hundred pounds
Maryland Currency he shall be sadisfied until the rest of my heirs shall
have received an alike equal share which shall be paid unto them in the
manner following: Item I have given to my daughter Susanna the amount of
One hundred pounds specie she shall have one hundred more of like money.
Item I have given to my daughter Elizabeth to the amount of twenty pounds
specie. Item I have given unto my daughter Catharine to the amount of
thirteen pounds specie. Item My daughter Maria hath received nothing. Item
I have given to my daughter Magdelena Fifty fife pounds ten shillings
specie. Item I have given to my daughter Rose twelve pounds. Item My above
named six daughters shall have an equal sum of two hundred pounds specie
each of the first payment and the above mentioned sums to be included as
part of the same. Item After the above sums are paid there shall next be
paid unto my daughter Elizabeth two hundred pounds specie. Item Next shall
be paid unto my daughter Magdelena the sum of two hundred pounds like money
aforesaid. Item Next to Susanna my daughter two hundred pounds specie. Item
Next to my daughter Maria two hundred pounds specie. Item Next to my
daughter Rose two hundred pounds specie. Item I give and bequeath unto my
grandson John Gribe the sum of fifty pound Maryland currency. Item I also
give and bequeath unto my grand daughter Maria Murray the sum of fifty
pounds Maryland Currency. Item And after the above mentioned sums are fully
paid then all what is left of my estate both real and personal I devise and
bequeath to be equaly devided among my son Jacob and my daughters Susanna,
Elizabeth, Catharine, Maria, Magadlene and Rose. And lastly I do hereby
constitute and appoint David Long and my son Jacob Bosteter to be Executors
of this my last will and testament. Revokeing and annulling all former
wills by me heretofore made ratifying and confirming this and none other to
be my last will and testament In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my
hand and affixed my seal this twelfth day of Aprile in the year of our Lord
Eighteen hundred and Six 1806.

Andrew Bosteter (seal)
(In German)

Signed sealed published and declared by Andrew Bosteter the above named
testator as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who
at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have
subscribed our names as witnesses thereto

Daniel Reichard
John Long
Jacob Reichart Junr

Whereas I Andrew Bosteter of Washington County have made and duly executed
my last will and testament in writing bearing date the twelfth day of
Aprile in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and six, which said last
will and testament and every clause bequest and devise therein contained I
do hereby ratify and confirm saving and excepting such bequests, devises
therein mentioned as are by me herein after revoked and made void and being
desirous to alter some parts thereof, do therefore hereby make this
Codicil, which I will direct shall be taken and held as part of my said
will and testament in manner and form following that is to say, Whereas
since the making of my said will I reflected on and duly considered the
unsteady and changing disposition of my son-in-law John Murry: and whereas
I by my said will did give and bequeath unto my daughter Elisabeth, the
sums therein mentioned I do hereby revoke the said legacy and do give and
bequeath said legacy unto the children of my said daughter Elisabeth to be
equily devided among them after the death of her my said daughter but
dureing her natureal [life] She my said daughter shall be entitled to and
receive the interest of said legacy annually And whereas I did by said Will
and testament give and bequeath unto my grandaughter Maria Murry the sum of
fifty pounds Maryland Currency: now I do hereby revoke the said legacy as
she is intitled to a proportionable part of her mother's legacy as above
mentioned. In testimony whereof I have hereto set my hand and affixed my
seal the eighth day of June in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and
Six.

Andrew Bosteter (L S)
(In German)

Signed sealed published and declared by Andrew Bosteter the above named
testator as and for a Codicil to his last will and testament in the
presence of us who at his request, in his presence and in the presence of
each other have subscribed our names and witnesses thereto.

Daniel Reichard
John Long
Jacob Reichart Junr

Washington County to wit
On the 17 day of July 1806 came David Long and Jacob Bosteter and made oath
&c that this is the true and whole will of Andrew Bosteter late of
Washington County deceased that hath come to their hands and possession and
that they do not know of any other. At the same time came Daniel Reckart,
John Long and Jacob Richart the three subscribing witnesses to the annexed
will and made oath &c that they did see the testator herein named sign and
seal this will that they heard him publish pronounce and declare the same
to be his Last Will and testament, that at the time of his so doing he was
to the best of their apprehensions of sound and disposing mind, memory, and
understanding and that they subscribed their names to this will in the
presence and at the request of the testator.

Certified by George C. Smoot Reg.

[NOTE: Twice I asked the Maryland State Archives to see if they could find
the original will, rather than this recorded one, but they said it no
longer exists.]

This thread: