BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2001-11 > 1005839689

From: <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Isaac Naff, Sr. and Military Petition 1799
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:54:49 -0500

There were two separate 1799 petitions by the
Brethren of Southwestern Virginia, as discussed
in my new book, _Stover Brethren_, 2001.

The first petition was made on 13 Dec 1799 by
the Botetourt County Brethren. This is the one
transcribed in Sappington's _The Brethren in the
New Nation_, 1976. A complete two-page
reproduction of the original petition is presented
in _Stover Brethren_, along with the original
(many in German script) signatures of the
petitioners. This petition and the signatures are
also transcribed in _Stover Brethren_, correcting
those names that Sappington and others have misread.

The second, shorter, petition was made on
14 Dec 1799, by the Franklin County Brethren.
This petition states:
================================
To the Honbl Speaker & Gentlemen of the Genl
Assembly of Virginia
The Petition of the people resident in Franklin
County Calld Tunkers pray that for their Conscien
cious scruples they may be Exempt from performing
Military duty but as they do not wish to shrink
from supporting Government they are willing that
in addition to their proportions of the Revenue tax
any thus Scrupulous and having a Certificate of Connec
tion with sd Church may be taxed 2 Dollars each
pr year as an equivalent for such Military Service
Required of them but in case of invasion or insurrection
they are then willing to bear a part as other militia
Grant us our prayer & we will pray
Jacob Miller
Jacob Nave
John Beckleheimer Jr