BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2003-03 > 1046771175

From: John McLeod <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Great Swamp Church
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:46:15 -0700

The Great Swamp Church whose 1770 membership list is posted on the Brethren
website was clearly in Bucks County prior to 1752. It is usually described
as being in "Upper Milford Township," whatever that means amidst the
confusion of the divisions and redivisions of Milford Township. The long
abandoned site is probably in Lehigh County today. If taken as precise,
the pat description of "40 miles NW of Philadelphia" is incompatible with
anyplace in Bucks or Lehigh Counties. What I am trying to determine is
whether or not a John Slifer who shows on their membership list could have
resided on Slifer Valley Road in Springfield Township in Bucks County.