BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2004-02 > 1078098041

Subject: Re: [BRE] Silver Creek church - STUMP
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:40:43 EST

Dorothy Petry wrote:
Very interested in what you may have on any of the STUMPs.

I don't have a Stump line, but put these in my database to link some people
together. Also I added them because several are buried at the Silver Creek
cemetery. I can't vouch for complete accuracy since its not my line. Some of
this was from a World Connect database by Mike McCray. He has some notes for
some of the Stumps so you might want to check his info.

Benjamin Stump born 1799 in York Co., PA, died 6 Apr 1877 in Preble Co., OH,
married Susanna Petry born 3 Mar 1807 in York Co., PA, died 19 Sep 1877 in
Preble Co., OH. Two of their children were Samuel Corbin "Sammie" Stump and
Solomon C. Stump.

Samuel C. Stump was born 15 Aug 1825 in York Co., PA, died 14 Sep 1888 in
Richardson Co., NE. Samuel married Sarah McFadden, born 1 Mar 1825 in Rockingham
Co., VA, died 5 Jul 1890. Both are buried at the Silver Creek cemetery,
about 4 miles north of Falls City, NE (Richardson Co.). In the 1880 census Samuel
is in Ohio Pct. Richardson Co., NE.

Solomon C. Stump was born 11 Apr 1841 in Preble Co., OH, died 17 Sep 1902.
On 8 Sep 1859 in Preble Co., OH he married Magdalena Petry. She was born about
3 Feb 1841 in Preble Co., died 4 Jul 1872 in Richardson Co., NE. Both of
them are buried at Silver Creek cemetery. After Magdalena died Solomon married
Harriet Forney on 31 May 1874. She was married first to Eugene Wise on 20 Apr
1868 in Carroll Co., IL. They had a son Lewis M. Wise, born about 1869.
Eugene may have died before the 1870 census. Harriet was living with her half
brother Jacob Forney in 1870, in Richardson Co., NE. Harriet Forney was a
daughter of John Forney Jr. and Elas Ann (I've seen different spellings for her
name, don't know which is correct.). Harriet is also buried at the Silver Creek
cemetery.

Solomon C. Stump and Magdalena Petry had a son Chester Willard Stump. He was
born 12 Jan 1871 in Eldorado, Preble Co., OH. On 7 Dec 1893 he married Lilla
Alverta Lichty, born about 1875-1876 in NE. Lilla was a daughter of John
Albert Lichty and Anne H. Ashenfelter.

Here are some other notes and census info on these people.

"History of Richardson Co., NE: its people, industries and institutions with
biographical sketches of representative citizens and genealogical records of
man of the old families," pages 854-55 says "Lillie Alverta, a professional
nurse, who is the wife of C. W. Stump, of Hastings, this state (NE)."
1920 Census: 720 Denver Ave., Hastings, Juniata Twp., Adams Co., NE ED 11 p4B
line 93: Chester W. Stomp 47y OH OH OH, Anesethiest, Hospital, wf Alverta L.
42y NE IL IL Superintendent, Hospital.

1880 C CD: Ohio, Richardson, Nebraska Page 404B
Sol STUMP Self M M W 39 OH
Occ: Farmer Fa: PA Mo: PA
Hattie STUMP Wife F M W 30 PA
Occ: Keeping House Fa: PA Mo: PA
John W. STUMP Son M S W 20 OH
Occ: Farm Labor Fa: OH Mo: PA
Laura STUMP Dau F S W 18 OH
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Frances STUMP Dau F S W 16 OH
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Washington STUMP Son M S W 15 OH
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Almina STUMP Dau F S W 13 OH
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Lonzo STUMP Son M S W 11 OH
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Chester STUMP Son M S W 9 OH
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Maggae STUMP Dau F S W 5 NE
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Benj. STUMP Son M S W 3 NE
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Mary STUMP Dau F S W 2 NE
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Mandy STUMP Dau F S W 8M NE
Fa: OH Mo: PA
Lewis WISE SSon M S W 11 IL
Fa: OH Mo: PA

1850 Census: Union Twp., Wells Co., IN p330B (Ances image 6) line 38: Samuel
C. Stump 35y Farmer PA, Sarah 25y VA, John 2y OH, Elizabeth 4/12y IN.

1880 Census: Ohio Pct., Richardson Co., NE ED 315 p2 line 26: Sam'l C. Stump
54y Farming PA MD MD, Sarah 55y VA VA VA, Katie 22y IN MD VA, Jennie 19y IN MD
VA, George 16y IN MD VA, Mary 12y IN MD VA. Also with family was dau Libbie
Lutz 30y IN MD VA, grdau Ora Dell Lutz 6y NE PA IN & dau Perlie A. Lutz 4y NE
PA IN. Both Ora & Pearlie had the measles.

"Richardson County Nebraska 1985" written by the people of Richardson County,
Nebraska, page 43:

The Brethren Church of Falls City - Formerly Silver Creek

The Brethren Church was organized Oct 16, 1869, at the Silver Creek
schoolhouse, four miles north of Falls City. Elder Samuel C. Stump was the resident
minister. Visiting elders present were: David Drower of Clearkirk Co., IA, and
John Murry of Marshall Co., IA. The first love feast was held in the newly built
barn of U. W. Miller.

Later in 1869 the John Forney families, except for Susan Judy who followed
ten years later with her family, moved from IL and located near Silver Creek.

Elder Samuel C. Stump (familiarly known as Uncle Sammie Stump) arrived with
his family from IN, Sep 3, 1870. Through the cooperation of his family, as his
children grew old enough to carry on the farm work, he devoted much time to
the Lord's cause. He traveled on foot, horseback, and in a lumberwagon before
the spring wagon came into use. He preached in schoolhouses in the surrounding
country, and faithfully kept his appointments in spite of adverse weather.

The Silver Creek Church was built in 1881. Previous to this the church
services were held in the Silver Creek schoolhouse, with the communion services held
in the barn of Elder John Forney. There are no known minutes of any meetings
until Mar 27, 1880, a little over ten years after the church was organized;
but the following are the names of the forty-nine Charter members as listed in
1885: (snip, I sent the list in my previous post)

I have photos of some Stump stones at the Silver Creek cemetery. If you'd
like I can email them to you.

Debby

This thread: