BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2004-09 > 1096053921

From: "Patricia Hickin" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Brethren and Mennonites in the Shenandoah Valley
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:25:24 -0400

Thanks for your mesage, Emmert --

Technically speaking, however, the waters of much/most of Frederick County
drain into the Opequon or into Back Creek, both of which empty into the
Potomac River upstream from Harpers Ferry, rather than into the Shenandoah
River. Though you're right that people here consider themselves to be in
the Shenandoah Valley -- I'm not sure it's ever been officially defined?

As you no doubt know, the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley at Glen Burnie
here in Winchester is to open next spring. At one time, they were thinking
about extending their coverage as far south as Roanoke; I don't know exactly
what they've decided.

I remember as a child living in Botetourt County, people would say that we
lived in the Shenandoah Valley, and "Shenandoah Valley" was sometimes
considered tthe equivalent for the Valley of Virginia, though I think
everybody now agrees that was inaccurate.

Did Elder John Klein (sp?) by any chance have a body of correspondence that
was preserved? Thanks,

Pat