BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2004-10 > 1097334939

Subject: BOWMAN FAMILY, SOMERSET CO.,PA
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:15:39 EDT

Kate Dombush...so good to get your nice response, and by all means must get
together one of these days. (I am in the Gulf Shores/St.Petersburg area phone
book). There is just so very much in the Somerset Co., PA's LAUREL MESSENGER,
regarding the BAUMAN/BOWMAN families that I won't begin to copy it all off
via this method. But shall run off copies of what I have downloaded, and for
anyone wanting to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to me at the
below-listed address I shall be glad to send this data to them....you included, of
course! :>)

And for anyone wanting to write to the National Society Daughters of the
American Revolution (DAR), the records of JOHANNES BOWMAN (d. 1785), and ABRAHAM
BOWMAN (d. 1794) can be found under DAR #195275. Their address is 1776 D. St.,
N.W., Washington, D.C., 20006-5303. I have been a member since 1962.
The information regarding these two BOWMAN gentleman is to be found in Vol 1,
Issue 3, p. 7, of the LAUREL MESSENGER.

In Feb. 1965 issue, pg. 6, L.M. publication, there is this re BOWMAN'S
CASTLE:

JACOB BOWMAN from Hagerstown settled at Brownsville, PA (Redstone), as a
merchant in 1787. He built a one room log cabin where Bowman's Castle now
stands, on Front Street. Later generations added rooms to the original structure.
Today the 22 room castle is preserved as a historical landmark and
museum......... The first wagon-load of merchandise that was brought over the mountains
via the National Hwy., when known as the Braddock Road, was in 1789,
consigned to JACOB BOWMAN, at Brownsville. (This latter from Day's History, and the
article itself was from Somerset, PA's SOMERSET AMERICAN, Jan 29, 1937..by
Tommy.)

In the LAUREL MESSENGER August 1977 issue, pp. 4/5, there is a lengthy
article regarding HENRY BOWMAN (BAUMAN) - RAUCH FAMILY, by Lt.Col. Carter L.
Hilsabeck, USA Army Retired.

It begins with HENRY BAUMAN, native of PA, who bought land in Wayne Twp.,
Fulton Co., Indiana from Michael Troutman 23 October 1841. HENRY and wife,
ELIZABETH RAUCH BAUMAN resided on this land until they died....... HENRY was born
27 Sept. 1791 in Brothers Valley, Somerset Co.,PA, son of Rev.War. verteran
JACOB BAUMAN (PA Archives Ser. 6, Vol.15, pg.99). JACOB BAUMAN was born in 1749
and died 26 Feb. 1819. HENRY's mother was ELIZABETH CATHERINE MILLER, born 6
May 1762 , died 14 June 1837. Both are bur. in the Old Ref. Cemetery in
downtown Berlin, PA.(Somerset County).

In the November 1985 issue, pg. 194 of the LAUREL MESSENGER is this:

BAUMAN-BOWMAN CEMETERY...compiled by David R. Hay

This cemetery has approximataely 20 graves, all BAUMAN family....situated
near the village of Mance, in Northampton Township (Somerset Co., PA,
presumably), on meadow land on the former WILIAM BAUMAN farm, later the Peter Felker
farm, and in 1965, the Leora Deist farm. Initial information was taken from the
WPA Cemetery records...etc
Many additional dates and relationships were taken from "THE
BURBACK-POORBAUGH/PURBAUGH FAMILY HISTORY 1771-1974", compiled by Treva E. Calder, 1976.
DANIEL & CATHERINE (BURBACH) BAUMAN originally lived on the farm where the
cemetery was started in 1832. They owned a vast estate straddling both Northampton
and Larimer Townships........ Omitting herein the burials listed in the article.

Hope this is of some help to someone. Thanks again, Kate.

Rosalie L. Hartinger
3010 59th St., So., #206
Gulfport, Florida 33707