BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-03 > 1111160103

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Pietism & Brethren Frontier migration
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:35:03 -0500

Piety means devotion, and was a movement that originated in Germany in the
16th century among both Protestant's and Catholic's. It focused on the
inner religious experience as opposed to rituals and dogma. The University
of Halle in Berlin Germany was a center of the Protestant version of the
movement. Count Zinzendorf is one of its more famous graduates. He founded
the Moravians, who emphasized a personal relationship with Christ in a
communal environment. Pietism was also active in the Palatinate area, thus
influencing the Anabaptists. John Wesley was greatly influenced by the
Moravians, and had his 'Aldersgate Experience' and 'new birth' at a Bible
study with a group of Moravians. Wesley was Anglican, and molded Anglican
practices with a perspective of Pietism. Wesley never was a Methodist from
a denominational perspective, since they broke from the Anglicans after his
death. The German Evangelical Association formed by Jacob Albright was
influenced by Wesley and believed religion was a personal conscious
experience with God., so they have strong Pietist connections as well. The
Evangelicals are now part of the United Methodist denomination.

Bill Thomas