BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2006-02 > 1139083496

From: "Janet Hall" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Conestoga COB
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 14:05:03 -0600

In the Addendum (Harry Royer) to the Royer History, (Francis) the following
is a quotation per Harry Royer's quote of Rev. Paul Brubaker minister of the
Middle Creek Church of The Brethern (1981) :

I have found the name Emig Reyer in a number of Brethren History books,
always in connection with those who formed a separate congreatation
following the division of followers of Conrad Beissel and the Conestoga
group on Sept. 29, 1734....From several sources I have learned that this new
group was at times called Cocalico...With our historical items at the Middle
Creek Church, we have a sale bill from 1875 when the Middle Creek Meeting
House was constructed. Under the title of the Middle Creek Church is listed
the following: also known as Royer's Meeting House. It was apparently at
that time that the new meeting house was constucted (1874) that the Royer
Meetinghouse was razed, because the items listed on the sale bill were old
lumber, windows, etc. I have also been told that the Royer Meetinghouse was
located right ouside the cemetery close to the road (this would be on the
west end of the cemetery). I have also learned that the meetinghouse served
as a schoolhouse in the community as well, although I have never see this in
print...It has been within the past five years (letter written in 1981) that
we have officially changed our name to The MIddle Creek Church of the
Brethren. Prior to that it was known as West Conestoga. Our church
separated from the mother church, Conestoga, on May 5, 1864.

Harry Royer goes on to say "Thus we have had the following names for this
congregation: Royer's, Conestoga, West Conestoga, Middle Creek, and possibly
Cocolico (Cocalico)."

Emig Royer lived just a short distance from the Middle Creek Church on
Middle Creek and very close to the three creeks you mentioned. He and John
Landis would have been very close neighbors. I am a little confused
regarding the barn as our local guide took us to a site just outside Akron
where it once stood. It sounds from your experience that it was still
standing last summer. ??

Conestoga, PA is listed as having hosted the Annual Brethren Conference
("Meeting" at that time) on the following dates: 1763, 1777, 1780, 1781,
1820 (Joseph Royer farm), 1831

I hope this is helpful.