BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2006-03 > 1143680775

From: "William B. Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] John Zug, White Oak Congregation
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:04:14 -0800

Another Zug/Zook family resource is a book titled "Only a Twig" by Lois Ann
Zook. This book covers the family of Mortiz Zug and his brothers, Christian
and John, and was published in 1979. These brothers were cousins of Ulrich
Zug. This line was Amish-Mennonite, and Barbara Zug, daughter of Christian,
was married to Brethren Elder Michael Beeghley. The book has a few pages on
early Zug history

According to the "Twig" reference, the wife of Ulrich Zug was a Bachman
(first name unknown), who was a sister of Michael Bachman. Michael Bachman
sold some of his property to Ulrich Zug in 1743, and the name of this farm
was "White Oak Land". Bachman likely has Amish-Mennonite roots, since a
John Bachman wrote a letter in 1711 regarding the division between the Amish
and Mennonites that makes reference to a Hans Zug. There was a Hans Bachman
on the so called 'Three Ships' of August 24, 1717, which carried many
Mennonites to America. Hans Zug is connected to all of the Zug's, but it is
speculation as to how.

Not sure if this info is of any value, but I thought I'd provide it in case
it is of some help.

Bill Thomas