BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2007-09 > 1190522303

Subject: Re: [BRE] Abraham Stump, again
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 00:38:23 EDT

In general, your comments that many of the German (and English) Ana-Baptist
suffered in the revolution for Pacifist beliefs is just about indisputable,
but I don't think this scenario holds up as a reason for Abraham Stump's
migration from PA to Canada.

You stated earlier that Abraham Stump, Sr., funded the Lutheran/Reformed
Church at Straubstown (now Freeburg, Snyder Co, PA). And so far all the
evidence I'm finding is that Abraham Stump, Sr., and Abraham Stump, Jr., were German
Lutheran, and supported the revolution. The only evidence supporting a
belief this family was Brethren prior to migration to Canada is based on
associations with other families. I haven't seen any evidence this particular family
was persecuted as Tory in PA.

>From the details, it appears the reason for Abraham's migration was simply
economic: As the families grew in size, they would move on to new frontiers
for cheaper land, selling the odl land they held (a pattern seen again and
again among all the ethnic and religious groups). In this case new lands were
opening in Canada, and in 1807 Abraham Stump, Jr., purchased 200 acres from
John Cameron for 50 pounds (not a free land grant).

There were other families (Schell) in the same village (Vaughan Twp) who
later joined the Brethren and had actively fought in the Revolution on the
American side in NY, but also relocated to Vaughan Twp about the same time as the
Stump's. And drawing back just a little, in December 1806 a group of German
Lutheran's relocated to Vaughan Twp from Somerset County, PA. So, Abraham
Stump's purchase in 1807, and his association with the Lutheran Church in PA
would tend to support his immigration with this group, even though PA Germans
(Burkholder) were arriving in Vaughan by 1802. I don't doubt he would have
followed the same roads as those a few years earlier from PA.

I think the most compelling evidence supporting my theory is the baptism of
Abraham in 1764, and his marriage about 1787. That would put his age at the
time of marriage as 23. I put the marriage date based on the birth of
Elizabeth in 1788 (per your comments earlier).

I've also been comparing the tax lists, census and land records and right
now this is the only Abraham Stump who seems to fit the migration from PA to
Canada.

I don't think the claim that some of the Germans maintained an allegiance to
Queen Anne for her support of their immigration from the Palatines to NY was
likely a factor. Queen Anne died ca. 1714, and the first wave was completed
before 1712. Consequently those living in 1776 were not likely to have a
recollection of that event (much less made an allegiance). Further, it seems
unlikely they would continue to harbor feelings of gratitude to her after
those in NY found the conditions were not what they expected (essentially
servitude with no free land).

So, it appears the migration of Abraham Stump, Jr., from PA to Canada was
based simply on economic factors, not religious or political.

Regards,
Glen Swartz

P.S -- I need to emphasize that the focus of my research is simply to
determine if the Maria Catherina Stump m. to Johann George Böshaar was the d/o
Johann George Stump. I'm just looking at her possible siblings to make sure I
have the right parents.

-----------------------
9/13/2007, writes:

> The other problem I see in this identification is the 1804 relocation to
> Canada because they were Tories. Most of the Tories would have probably
> relocated before 1790. Relocation to Canada 20 years after the conclusion
of the
> Treaty of Paris, seems rather late if they were Tories... Glen Swartz

... I'm not ready to accept this easy dismissal of the idea that the Stump
family was suffering under a suspicion of “Tory” in this beginning United
States of America. This was something that many if not most of the German
immigrant families seem to have been facing during and after the American
Revolution. As such, it was a major problem of the Brethren during this period of
conflict that began several years before the Revolution and ended with the War
of 1812 (the “Second War for Independence”). ... Merle C Rummel, Church
Historian