BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-03 > 1206959792

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] William Hendricks Family
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:36:32 -0400

> I don't have John Hendricks, but have wondered if he might be next in my
> family tree--no proof though. My line ends at William W. Hendricks, born
> 1788 in North Carolina. He married Susannah Sears (daughter of Samuel and
> Christena Sears) on 21 Oct 1817 in Russellville, Logan County, Kentucky, and
> started their family in what soon became Simpson County, Kentucky.

1788 was the birth of James, son of Elder John Hendricks. James was
minister of the Cape Girardeau MO church. Elder John Hendricks had a
son William (married Elizabeth Shell in 1833, moved to Sangamon Co IL.

So, your William W Henricks is not the son of Elder John. But I have
also in Warren Co KY, a Thomas Hendricks, who lives close to Elder
John. Thomas Jr (a son) went to Nashville (Davidson Co TN), then Thomas
III went to Morgan Co Indiana - but I do not have much information on
these families.

From the Carolinas I only have a John Hendricks (Elder John -to Lick
Branch of Drakes Creek -then Warren Co, later Simpson Co KY) and a James
Hendricks (who I am sure is the James of the Hinkston Creek Church,
Montgomery Co KY). So I do not know if Thomas is another brother.

I do not have much information on the family of James Hendricks,
probably the parent of these Elder John and James - this James Sr came
down from York Co PA, to Dutchmans Creek, Forks of the Yadkin, Rowan Co
NC, 1775. He is recorded as a wheelwright (made wagon wheels). But a
James Hendricks (same one or other?) also purchased 349 acres on Middle
Crane Creek (east of Salsbury NC - west of the Yadkin). He may also be
the James Henrick mentioned by Morgan Edwards in 1770 as a minister at
the Little Conewago Congregation. Be aware that the names John and
James are common in every generation of the Hendricks family - so which
one is a person talking about?

The first settler west of the Susquehanna River was a John Hendricks,
who moved there in 1728. His son James joined him in 1731, then was
accidentally killed by his father in 1732. Michael Danner bought land
from him. Ferne Baldwin indicated that the family went back to a
Gerhard Hendricks, wife May and daughter Sarah, who arrived in America
in 1685 from Krisheim Germany (a Brethren Settlement -amidst Mennonites
- but the 1685 migration was a Mennonite migration, not Brethren).
.
Do you have information on Samuel Sears (1769-1846, wife Christina
?Conrad) and family? He is a son of Johann Zaher and Barbara (Miller)
Hon (second wife). And Dwayne, you mentioned Daniel and Betty Martin
Sears -yes, Pamela is helping me on these Sears families -but so far I
only have partial information on the John Sears family.

Merle C Rummel

This thread: