BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-07 > 1215035365

From: "Dwayne Wrightsman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Pacifists and non agression
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:49:25 -0400

Dan,

Your story reminded me of my gggrandfather George Garst (1800-1886) of
Salem, Virginia. He was Brethren and had eight sons. Two died before the
Civil War was started. Two I have no record of. Two fled to (and hid out)
in Macoupin County, Illinois, while the war was being fought, returning to
Virginia after the war was over. Two stayed back in Virginia and fought for
the Confederacy. After the war was over, one of those who fought for the
Confederacy, moved permanently to Sangamon County, Illinois. Only one stuck
it out in Virginia. Based on published Garst family letters back and forth
between the south and the north during the 1860s, not one of the brothers
was judged by their father for their actions.

Sixteen of these wartime letters were compiled into a commemorative book,
"Some Old Letters," by Floyd and Kathryn Garst Mason, of Bridgewater,
Virginia, in 2005. The letters are filled with family love transcending the
events of the Civil War. Equally touching about the Garst family at the
time of the Civil War are the letters published and illustrated in Geraldine
Plunkett's children's book, "Nathan's Secret."

Kathryn, Geraldine, and I are third-cousin gggrandchildren of George and
Catharine Markey Garst.

Dwayne Wrightsman