BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-07 > 1216309742

From: "Dwayne Wrightsman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] John H. of mention in the 1798 Annual Meeting
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:49:02 -0400

Wayne,

A geographical correction to your description of the Wolfe family in
Illinois and Missouri: You claim that John Wolfe made a mistake about
whether is was Illinois or Missouri where his grandpa died. Well I'm not so
sure. One thing I do know is my Mississippi River geography. First off,
Ste. Genevieve and Kaskaskia are basically the same place; just look at any
good atlas. Both have been on both the Illinois and the Missouri sides of
the Mississippi River at different points in time. The mighty Mississippi
has had more than one major course. Kaskaskia Island is now politically in
Illinois but it is on the Missouri side of the river. Some time ago it was
on the Illinois side of the river. Ste. Genevieve County is mostly in
Missouri and partly in Illinois.

In fairness to John Wolfe, he was referring to an area in a time that had no
real political divisions, states, county borders, organized towns, stable
river courses, so I cannot fault him one whit for what he said back then.
The Brethren Roots article to which you refer places events of two hundred
years ago in today's political realm. Hm.....

Dwayne Wrightsman