BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-07 > 1216462630

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] John H. of mention in the 1798 Annual Meeting
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 06:17:10 -0400

> What intrigues me to no end is that modern German Baptist historians
> have chosen, or not been aware of, these various works. It could be that
> they chose not to read it because it was not "German Baptist" in origin. Or
> perhaps it was an ignorance of the not widely known aspect of Universalism
> and Pietism having an impact on early German Baptist history.
>

> Perhaps you might even say that Martin's Pietist impact lasted into to
> the 1880s. Could we term the Old Orders as Annual Meeting Brethren of
> Martin's day and the Progressive's as the Pietists of Martin's day? Martin
> seemingly espoused a congregational based ruling body (each church ruled
> itself) while the Annual Meeting Brethren of that era preferred a body of
> elders ruling the entire body of the church. An interesting concept!
> Perhaps I got the horse before the cart on that one. <grin>

Floyd Mallott (Studies in Brethren History) and Donald Durnbaugh
(Brethren in Colonial America) -both reference Eddy. And you don't
include my own comments on the Pietism sequence: - that the conflict of
the Carolinas, and sequel in Kaintuck, didn't finish with the Far
Western Brethren and a Compromise, because the Compromise itself was not
acceptable to many. Annual Meeting, itself, took the stand that there
was really no compromise, that it was just an agreement to accept the
decisions of Annual Meeting - look at the record of what they did.

There were many Brethren who moved west from Illinois into Missouri and
further, who refused the Compromise, and Annual Meeting, and are lost to
the Brethren. Then you, too, include the divisions of the church, in
1881 and 1882, when the Old Order refused the Compromise, and returned
to the earlier decisions of Annual Meeting. I am not sure I would place
either the "Progressives" or the "Church of the Brethren" in the Pietist
camp - but they are certainly closer to the Compromise.

Merle C Rummel

This thread: