BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-09 > 1220312620

From: "geshoneyman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Gospel Messenger Offering #3b - Sept. 2, 2008
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:43:40 -0400

For those reading this paragraph of the article found in the Gospel
Messenger and kindly submitted by Wayne, I would like add explanations.

Samuel A. Leedy [1816-1889], son of Abraham & Elizabeth (Zook) Leedy, a
minister of the Owl Creek Fraternity of German Baptists began preaching in
favor of the single mode of feetwashing and other reforms. An Annual
Meeting committee was appointed and called on him in September of 1858 to
investigate the controversy and expelled him along with fifteen other
members. They became know as the Leedites or Leedy Brethren. In 1859, they
held an election and placed Samuel's brother Isaac and Samuel Whistler in
the ministry.

The Progressives mentioned were led by Henry Ritz Holsinger [1833-1905], son
of Elder Daniel Mack & Mary "Polly" (Ritz) Holsinger, who was expelled by
Annual Conference in 1882 and organized the Brethren Church in June of 1883.
The Leedy Brethren joined this new branch of the church.

The Miami party refers to the old order element which withdrew from the main
body of the German Baptist Brethren in 1881 forming the Old German Baptist
Brethren church.

Remember that the Dunker's as we were popularly known, did not have an
official name until 1836 when a query was sent to Annual Meeting asking what
name should appear on a deed for a meeting house at which time the name
Fraternity of German Baptists was chosen and used until 1871 when again
Annual Meeting changed the name to German Baptist Brethren, who again
changed the name in 1908 to Church of the Brethren.

GESH