BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-04 > 1240333232

From: "Dwayne Wrightsman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Shearer Family of Ashe County
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:00:32 -0400

If some publication called "US and International Marriage Records,
1560-1900" is the main source that Hannah Hoover married Christian Shearer
in North Carolina, then I would take it with a grain of salt. The Shearers
do not appear in the Wilkes County records until 1787, so it is unrealistic
to think that there was a Christian Shearer born in Ashe County in 1735.
(Ashe County did not even exist until 1799.) In 1735 you could probably
count the number of Germans living in North Carolina on one hand. And who
was Andrew Shearer?

What is interesting is the idea that Christian Shearer Sr. was married to a
Sarah Bargett/Burket. We know from Wilkes/Ashe records that his widow was
named Sarah. If her maiden name was Burkett, she was possibly a sister of
Christian Burkett who settled with the Shearers and Foutses in Wilkes/Ashe
in 1787.

Dwayne Wrightsman