BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-06 > 1244892933

Subject: Re: [BRE] New Here - with a question
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 07:35:35 EDT

FYI:
I Live in Ohio and was once involved in Township Government. One of the
responsibilities (by law) of the Twp. trustees was to maintain cemeteries,
both open and closed, and or their records. Even if the cemeteries are on
private property or not, a Twp. trustee is appointed a "sexton" to maintain
these cemeteries and their records.
3 Years ago, I located my ancestors' cemetery near Marietta, Ohio. The
"church" and cemetery (1806-1980)were still there, in disrepair, and I was
able to locate the Sexton, and he did in fact have the cemetery records. The
property had been sold to a private citizen, but the TWP. trustees still
maintained the property.
I did some research and discovered that it is possible to start a
foundation to preserve these cemeteries. I believe there was some government
funding available for this. Regrettably I have never followed through with this.
Perhaps when I can retire, this will become a passion for me.
Usually the local Historical Society can be very supportive.
I know that often, the responsibility of the Sexton is forgotten, and/or
not enforced. They are lax in their duties. But if you get after them, most
are able to dig up these records.
Sarah
+pray for peace

In a message dated 6/12/2009 9:10:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,