BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-06 > 1244978036

Subject: Re: [BRE] New Here - with a question
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 07:13:56 EDT

Gary,
I did some more checking. The Ohio Revised Code is very detailed about
Cemeteries; their care and management. Township trustees are responsible for
management and maintenance and can even impose a tax on area residents of up
to 1% a year in establishing funds and endowments for cemeteries. If The
township no longer cares for cemeteries then the municipality takes over with
a cemetery board. In some instances The County Commissioners would manage
cemeteries. Interestingly, there is a section which clearly provides for a
citizen to force township; municipality, county commissioners, to properly
care for these places if they have indeed become lax. This would include
improvement, and/or removal and relocation of cemeteries which are "closed"
, no longer in use.
Many states have recently enacted new laws increasing penalties for
malicious or criminal destruction of cemeteries. As I was reading, I noted
Indiana, New York, Ohio, Texas, and Nevada.
When I was involved with Township Government, the trustees loved people who
were willing to volunteer and help with these old cemeteries. That
certainly would be a place to start if anyone is interested in starting a cemetery
restoration project.
Just a thought.

Sarah
+pray for peace

In a message dated 6/13/2009 10:15:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,