BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-06 > 1244980016

From: "J.A. Florian" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] New Here - with a question
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 07:46:56 -0400

Sarah,

Could you give the number for the section of the revised code, or a link to
the section. I'd love to sent it to PA Representatives to see if they can
make a similar law. I know a Trustee in PA where there are 2 Brethren
cemeteries and he couldn't do anything when both cemeteries got hit by
vandals.

Judy

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 7:13 AM, <> wrote:

> Gary,
> I did some more checking. The Ohio Revised Code is very detailed about
> Cemeteries; their care and management. Township trustees are responsible
> for
> management and maintenance and can even impose a tax on area residents of
> up
> to 1% a year in establishing funds and endowments for cemeteries. If The
> township no longer cares for cemeteries then the municipality takes over
> with
> a cemetery board. In some instances The County Commissioners would manage
> cemeteries. Interestingly, there is a section which clearly provides for a
> citizen to force township; municipality, county commissioners, to properly
> care for these places if they have indeed become lax. This would include
> improvement, and/or removal and relocation of cemeteries which are
> "closed"
> , no longer in use.
> Many states have recently enacted new laws increasing penalties for
> malicious or criminal destruction of cemeteries. As I was reading, I noted
> Indiana, New York, Ohio, Texas, and Nevada.
> When I was involved with Township Government, the trustees loved people who
> were willing to volunteer and help with these old cemeteries. That
> certainly would be a place to start if anyone is interested in starting a
> cemetery
> restoration project.
> Just a thought.
>
> Sarah