BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-06 > 1245181039

From: "J.A. Florian" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Cemetery care
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:37:19 -0400

For good and bad, Steve points out a good reason so little gets done for
cemeteries.

So, we the living--who might be able, even a little--can try to do what we
can, finacially or with physical labor.

Another poster said they had to get permission to do cemetery work. That's
true. A cemetery falls under regular property laws; just as I'd have to ask
to come onto someone's property and make physical changes, it is the same
with cemeteries. Also there is liability for monument companies or
restoration companies, as well as getting approval for any contracted
services. When I paid to restore a number of tombstones in one cemetery,
the monument company had to have approval from the person responsible at the
church, even though I initiated and paid the contract. Also, getting
permission seems to me to just be polite. I don't think anyone would care
if I just took clippers to cut grass or if I planted flowers, but with
restoration, I'm having a company remove stones, re-pour footers, repair and
re-set stones, fill in and level sunken graves. The "head person" of the
church needs to be involved in case there's injury to a worker-- or even if
the company caused some other damage in the process of doing my work. And
because I live out of State, I couldn't follow-up; the church person checked
the finished work before I signed off as satisfied with the outcome. So
don't feel that having to get permission is a burden or an obstacle; it
protects the church/cemetery "owner", the hired company, as well as your
payment for the work.

Judy

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM, buckeye49 <> wrote:

> <snipped> The first priority for spending tax dollars is probably the
> living. <snipped>
> Steve Stover

This thread: