BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-09 > 1253572286

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] 200th Anniversary of Four Mile
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:31:26 -0400

> The Four Mile Church was the first Brethren Church in Indiana, and was
> the mother church of many of the Brethren Churches in Indiana, with two
> migrations to Iowa. Main families include: Elder Jacob Miller children,
> Kingery, Lybrook, Moss, Hart, Eikenberry, Landis, Ridenour, Rife,
> Rinehart, Ritter, Shideler, Toney and Witter.
>

> I believe you left out the Huston family.

You are Right!! - James, Samuel, and Thomas Jr were Brethren (or at
least James and Samuel were - both died the same day, in the 1822
Cholera Epidemic. Thomas Jr, and the cousins, Matthew and Thomas Huston
(of Huston Woods State Park fame) lived longer. Thomas Jr lived near
the Keffer Cemetery, south of Cottage Grove IN - and the Lower Four Mile
Church that was built there later (c1870). Its building is still
standing, it was moved and became a barn on the next farm east.

I have them included in my presentation -

Merle C Rummel

This thread: