BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2010-05 > 1274474629

Subject: Re: [BRE] Ohmarts of Montgomery County, Illinois
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 16:43:49 -0400

Dwayne,

There's no evidence Henry Sellers attended church in Illinois, either Brethren, Primitive Baptist, or anything else before he died in 1848.

When I started genealogy in the 1950s, there were elderly people living who remembered first person accounts of the 1840s/1850s from previous senior members of their family. Jake Bost, patriarch of Bost family of Montgomery County, said Henry Sellers spoke only German, and that was my first inkling of the Sellers' true background.

Jake Bost said when Henry Sellers died, he had told his wife Barbara that he should be buried on a high bank looking down at Hurricane Creek. There's no idea where that high bank might have been, or if it washed away in a downpour over the years.

I failed to mention in my earlier email that I believe there was a Grisso among the Ohmart group from Ohio that moved into Montgomery County, IL in 1843.

Frank S.
Falls Church, VA