BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-03 > 1301173254

From: "Ruth Hoese" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Hardshell Baptists (was Re: Brethren,Gentry County Missouri)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 16:00:54 -0500

That is very interesting as we are descended from Elder John Wise of the
Brethren church. He was married to a definitely Brethren Grable and had a
Garber ancestor. Elder John Wise was one of three brothers who were
Brethren ministers. So I think the term may be more generic than indicated
in that. I do know that when my great grandmother died she was a member of
the Nazarene Church. I do not believe there was a Brethren church in that
little town of Caney, KS in the 1940's.

I always thought as a girl, and knowing my grandmother, that he meant hard
nosed, narrow minded! Maybe he did, kids do pick up on things. Who knows
what my grandchildren might think of me, although I don't think it is that.
Ruth