BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-05 > 1305835558

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Vintage Maps...Burkhart's
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 16:05:58 -0400

John:

I am familiar with the Burkhart family of Allegheny Township, which my wife
is a descendent. The patriarch of her family is Jacob Burkett who owned
property near Brush and Wills Creeks. The 1816 map location is off a tad,
if this is Jacob's property.

I am unclear as to their religious denomination. My wife's ties to the
Burkett's begin with her great grandmother, who was Roman Catholic.
However, the cemetery where her great-great Burkett grandparents are buried
is not Catholic. The New Baltimore area of Allegheny Township had a
significant Roman Catholic population, but the area where Jacob lived had
several Lutheran Churches in the 1876 Atlas.

There also was a Burkett/Burkhart family that lived in Bedford County that
was close to German Baptist areas. The nearest German Baptist community I
am aware of near Allegheny Township where west of the mountain ridge along
present Route 31, on the Stony Creek and Brothersvalley Township line.

Bill Thomas

This thread: