BRIDGES-L Archives

Archiver > BRIDGES > 1999-01 > 0915812185

From: rebecca pacey <>
Subject: [BRIDGES-L] BRIDGES, Wm-VA>Surry NC My Line
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:16:25 -0700

Hello Everyone,
Here is my Bridges line which leads to my Freeman Line in Franklin Co.
NC. I have left in the notes, perhaps they will help someone, does
anyone connect up to this family.

Becky Pacey in Arizona

Descendants of William Bridges

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM1 BRIDGES was born Abt. 1680 in ,VA, and died 1762 in ,NC,
Granville Co., USA. He married SUSANNAH Abt. 1709 in ,VA, Surry Co.,
USA.

Notes for WILLIAM BRIDGES:
!Born: CA 1680 probably VA (No head right listed in Nugent for William
other than in 1639, 1657 and 1658)
!Died: May Ct. 1762 will, Granville Co. NC (Unrecorded File)
Married: ca 1709, probably Surry Co. VA
Parents: Unknown
Land: 1714 Surry--John and Elizabeth Jones to Wm. Bridges for 3,000 lbs.
tobacco--100 a. SS Main Blackwater, Piny Swamp adj. JONES and John
Wever(D & W 6-232)

!1715 Surry--John and Eliz. JONES to Wm. Bridges--170 a. adj. Benj.
Harrison and sd JONES' old land (D & W 7-1) Gift of 200 a. to son,
Joseph in 1731 /s/ Wm. Bridges (D & W 8-156)

!1727, Oct 13 Patent--William Bridges of Surry, 150 a. New Land in Surry
Co. on SS Nottoway River adj. sd Bridges and Katherine Evans (Pat .
13-250) Gift to son, William Jr. in 1737, /s/ "W" (D & W 8-804) W m.
the Elder signs with Wm. the younger in 1739 when he sells to Robt .
Sandeford, /s/ on mark is "B" and the other is "W" (D & W 3-117)

!1749, Surry--William Bridges to Wm. Dancy-- 325 a. on SS Nottoway River
in
Albemarle Parish adj. Thomas Freeman, the Frying Pan Branch, Flatt
Swamp, Wm
Stuart, William Freeman and Peter Poythress /s/ "WB" /w/ Nich. s.
Masenburg,
Bridges Freeman, Thomas Freeman (D & W 6-59)

!1749 Surry-William Bridges to Thomas Freeman -- 100 a. SS Flatt Swamp
on Frying Pan Branch adj. John Mason /s/ "WB" /w/ William Stuart,
Bridges Freeman, Nichs Masenburg (D & W 6-62)

!1754 Granville-- Ambrose Crane, cooper to William Bridges, saddler- -
100 a. on SS Cedar Creek adj Thomas Pace (DB B-463)

!DATA: William witnessed the wills of ARTHUR JONES in 1715/6, John
Freeman Sr. in 1725, and James Porche in 1732/3. He was Gdn. to Wm.
Clark, orphan ca 1734 with Samuel Bennet as security; in 1738 William B
ridges (/s/ WB) was Gdn. to James Martin, orphan with Edward Petteway as
security. Granville Tax !List:1750 & 1755: William, Thomas & Joseph
Bridges.

!Will of William Bridges
!Granville Co. NC Unrecorded, Made 1 Aug 1756, no return date

!In the Name of God Amen. This first Day of August One thousand seven
Hundred and fifty six, I William Bridges of the Co. of Granville an d
Province of North Carolina Being of sound mind and memory Praise be God
for ye same, and calling to mind the Uncertainty of this Life , knowing
that it is appointed for all Men to Die, Do make, Ordain, Constitute and
Appoint this my Last Will and Testament in manner and form following,
Vizt,

!Impris I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Mary the Wife of Henry
Porch five Shillings to be paid her after my Wife's Decease.

!Item I Give and Bequeath unto my Daughter Elizabeth the Wife of WILLIAM
FREEMAN five Shillings to be paid her after my Wife's Decease.

!Item I Give and bequeath unto my Daughter Susannah, the Wife of John
Hancock, five shillings to be paid her after my Wife's decease

!Item I Give and bequeath unto my Grandson Thomas Bridges son of William
Bridges two Cows and Calf, two pewter Dishes and two Plates Pewter, and
all that he has now in possession Except a Bay Horse named Fidler that
to be Returned to my Executor the Cow and Calf and Pewter to be paid him
after my wife's decease

!Item I Give and bequeath unto Amy the daughter of William Porch a Cow
and Calf the male kind (of their Increase) for William Porch her father,
the female for her Self and to be Paid her after my wife's decease

!Item I leave a Tract of Land of one Hundred acres and Plantation unto
Joseph
Bridges after my Wife's decease and to the Heirs of his Body Lawfully
begotton and so to the Heirs of them and their body lawfully begotton
and so shall
attain it and forwards on, Heirs then to the next of kin and so to
continue to them and their Heirs lawfully begotton and proceeding for
Ever After my Wife's decease Then I Give unto Mary daughter of Thomas
Bridges one
Negro man named Bib to be Delivered to her when shall attain to the Age
of
Eighteen Years if in case my Wife should Die before that, and if my Wife
should Die before she attain to Eighteen Years, then my Executor or
Executors to Hire out the Negro yearly and what comes out of th e Hire
to Mary three Pounds Virg. a money yearly till she comes of Eighteen
years, and when she shall attain to Eighteen years then to b e Delivered
by my Executor Exors. (sic) to Mary the Daughter of Thoma s Bridges and
to her and her Heirs for Ever

!Item I do Leave unto my beloved Wife Susannah During her Natural Life
all my
Land Goods Chattles and Credits and after her decease, my Legacies being
Paid and my Debts and Funeral Expenses are fully Satisfied and Paid then
I Give unto my son Joseph Bridges all the Rest, Residue and Remainder of
my Estate, he Paying as is before Specified and mentioned by me as my
Last Will and Testament.

!Lastly I do nominate, Constitute and appoint my son Joseph Bridges my
Sole
Executor of this my last will and Testament hoping he will Execute and
perform the same as my Trust is in Reposed Given from under my hand and
Seal the Day and year above /s/ William WB (His Mark) Bridges / w/ Danl
Potter, Ambrose Crane, Jeremiah Perry, Jurat

!One entry in the Surry records is very puzzling: William Bridges
Account Current 1784-6, Archibald Davis, Admr. Pay to Samuel Correll,
Isaac Bridges and Eliz Bridges (Hart p. 127). With so many William and
Josephs, it is almost impossible to distinguish between them without a
very careful tracing of the land, identity of this William awaits
further study.

!One Thomas Bridges was the Deputy Sheriff of Bute Co. in 1765. The
Bute
records contain entries for Thomas, William and Joseph through 1777-8 .
In
August 1778 William Bridges was appointed Constable (Ct. Min. Book) and
it is
probable that this William was the grandson of William Bridges who died
in
1762. The Crooked Creek area where the Bridges lived became Franklin
Co. when Bute was abolished in 1779.

!The Franklin Co., NC will of Joseph Bridges in 1805 mentions sons :
Lewis (b. 1755-74), Amos, Dorrell (b. before 1755; in White Co. T N by
1813); and
daughters; Hannah Bridges (1813 in Franklin Co. NC), Polly Young and
Bady who
m. Willie Rowland in 1789 (WB C-35). If this Joseph were the son of
William
Sr., he would have been over 95 years old at his death, possible but not
probable. However, Lewis Bridges did witness the will of Edward Free
man in
1811, so there is some connection.

Notes for SUSANNAH:
!Susannah died after 1756 will of Husband
!Parents: unknown

Children of WILLIAM BRIDGES and SUSANNAH are:
i.THOMAS2 BRIDGES, m. MARTHA WYCHE.

Notes for THOMAS BRIDGES:
!Thomas appears to have m. Martha Wyche d/o James (1748 will, Surry W B
9-611)
before 1745 deed in Surry (lst entry); to Granville by 1750. Children
(Wm's
will, tax list)

ii.SUSANNAH BRIDGES, m. JOHN HANCOCK.
iii.JOSEPH BRIDGES, b. Bef. 1710.

Notes for JOSEPH BRIDGES:
!Born: bef 1710 (1731 Deed); in Granville by 1748

2.iv.ELIZABETH BRIDGES, b. Abt. 1715; d. Aft. 1771.
3.v.WILLIAM BRIDGES, b. Bef. 1716.
4.vi.MARY BRIDGES, b. Aft. 1755; d. 1755, ,VA, Sussex Co., USA.

Generation No. 2

2. ELIZABETH2 BRIDGES (WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1715, and died Aft.
1771. She married WILLIAM FREEMAN Abt. 1730, son of JOHN FREEMAN and
MARY.

Notes for ELIZABETH BRIDGES:
!Born: ca 1715
!Died aft 1771 Granville Tax List

!Parents: William and Susannah (____) Bridges (Will of William name s
Dau.
!Elizabeth Freeman, wife of William Freeman.

Notes for WILLIAM FREEMAN:
!Parents John and Mary Freeman (Surry Bk 7-623)
!Married: by 1730

!Land: 1725 Surry--will of John Freeman Sr., devised 300 a. on SS
Nottoway on
Corohesus Swamp adj Henry Jones, Wm. and Eliz. sold 1/2 to Wm. Stuart in
1742
and the other 1/2 in 1752 (DB 4-34, 6-428).
!Data: Not on 1755 Granville Tax List. Granville deeds begin about
1760

!William and Elizabeth were alive in Feb of 1761 as evidenced in the
Granville deed from William Freeman, Jr. for "love and affection he doth
bear to Henry Freeman his brother, "100 acres on SS Crooked Creek, part
of a 600 ac. grant to Joseph Bridges dated 30 Apr. 1754....saving and
reserving that the father and mother of the parties to wit , William
Freeman Sr. and Elizabeth his wife have and enjoy the said 100 acres
during the term of their natural lives...(DB D-134).

!Witnesses to christenings are close family members. Those who were
present at the christening of William and Elizabeth's children were :
William Moss,
Susanna Freeman, Anne Sandefour, Thomas Freeman, Mary Porch, Robert
Sandefour, Thomas Brewer and Lucy Dunn.

More About WILLIAM FREEMAN:
Record Change: August 06, 1998

Children of ELIZABETH BRIDGES and WILLIAM FREEMAN are:
i.ROBERT3 FREEMAN, d. 1775.

Notes for ROBERT FREEMAN:
!Adm. Bond Bute Co., NC (WB 2-63)

ii.THOMAS FREEMAN.

Notes for THOMAS FREEMAN:
Married Susannah possibly Sandefour.

5.iii.BRIDGES FREEMAN.
6.iv.JOHN FREEMAN.
v.HENRY FREEMAN.

More About HENRY FREEMAN:
Christening: July 28, 1748

vi.ANNA FREEMAN.

More About ANNA FREEMAN:
Christening: December 28, 1741

vii.MARY FREEMAN.

More About MARY FREEMAN:
Christening: December 11, 1734, ,VA, Surry Co., USA

7.viii.WILLIAM FREEMAN, b. Abt. 1730; d. Abt. 1800, ,NC, Franklin Co.,
USA.
8.ix.EDWARD FREEMAN, b. Abt. 1730; d. 1811, ,NC, Franklin Co., USA.

This thread: