BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT-L Archives

Archiver > BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT > 2007-09 > 1189446834

From: "Dot Johnston" <>
Subject: Re: [B&D] Searching for Shute's in Bristol
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:53:54 -0600

Hi Rose
Thanks for your reply and welcome
My Grandmother, Florence Shute, was unmarried when my mother Elsie was born.My G.Grandmother was the occupant of the house she was born in, her name was Elizabeth Steel she had remarried John Horatio Steel after James Shute died. I can find no trace of my mother untill 1906 when she was adopted by Jane Hobson.Jane lived in Northallerton Yorkshire was married but no children, it seems strange she would adopt a child in Bristol and take her back there.Jane refused to tell her anything about her birth mother and family.When my mother married she wanted to know if she should use the name Hobson or Shute and tried to get information on the adoption.It wasn't necessary to go through legal channels for an adoption then, but a young sister of Jane's told Elsie she remembered Jane bringing Elsie home and said a Miss Martins Children's home in Liverpool was mentioned.I have searched orphanages in Liverpool and Bristol but found nothing.I started this search at my Mother's request many years ago when she came to Canada to live with me.She died at age 94 before I found as much information as I have now. I started with my Mothers birth certificate issued in 1906 with" Mrs. Hobson" hand written across the top.This is getting too long so I will just tell you that I sent for the marriage certificate you mentioned, the husband is Alfred John Foxford aged 26 and Florence aged 28.My Florence would have been 32.Her fathers name was James and he was a compositor,This name was Thomas, deceased, a labourer.One thought I had is that Florence may have emigrated does anyone know how I can check this out.? Thanks again Rose and all the list for your patience in reading all this.Best wishes Doreen Johnston