BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT-L Archives

Archiver > BRISTOL_AND_DISTRICT > 2007-11 > 1195466510

From: "Mike Palmer" <>
Subject: Re: [B&D] ages at census?
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:02:30 -0000

Hi again Jeanne!

I would always put more trust in the first census after birth (except UK
1841!), especially if the age is given in months.

Apart from people actually forgetting their spouse's age, or their own, when
they are older, they may also have some reason for pretending that they are
older or younger than they really are.

I routinely search for a birthdate + or - 2 years even if I am pretty sure
what it really is, and it is a good idea to extend this if you don't find
who you are looking for.

You really can't believe all the information given in the census or at
registration!

Viv

This thread: